This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Get ready for a big pop of flavor! Bright lemon gets together with spunky black pepper in this crispy wing recipe. Lemon pepper wings are so quick, easy, and delicious they might just become a new favorite.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love These Baked Wings
- Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Lemon Pepper Wings
- What’s The Secret to Crispy Chicken Wings?
- Can You Make These In The Air Fryer?
- Tips for Success
- What to Serve with Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- Can You Freeze Oven Baked Wings?
- More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
Oh wings…those classic, delicious morsels of meat. There are a million recipes for chicken wings out there, but this is one of my favorites. It only takes 5 minutes of prep time and 6 ingredients and delivers phenomenal pop of flavor. The brightness of the lemon and the spunky kick from the black pepper will keep you coming back for more. Did I mention the melt in your mouth, crispy skin? Enjoy this zesty take on an all American classic for lunch, dinner, or even just a snack.
Why You’ll Love These Baked Wings
These lemon pepper chicken wings are sure to become a new favorite in your home for many reasons. Allow me to highlight a few of them.
- Short (and simple) prep time. 5 minutes? 5 minutes! A quick brush of olive oil and a trip to the microwave for the sauce is all you need to get crispy, flavorful wings in no time.
- Flavor POP. These chicken wings will wake your taste buds right up. The brightness of the citrus and the kick of the black pepper come together to delight your senses.
- Versatile. Wings can fit into almost any scenario. I love taking them to a party as a fun hors d’oeuvre, but they are also a wonderful choice for lunch, dinner, or a quick protein packed snack.
This recipe only requires 6 ingredients, many of which you might already have on hand. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for the recipe.
- Chicken Wings
- Olive Oil – Use extra virgin olive oil if you can.
- Unsalted Butter
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice – store-bought lemon juice just isn’t the same.
- Lemon Zest – you can use dried lemons zest, but I highly suggest using fresh zest.
How to Make Lemon Pepper Wings
It only takes 5 minutes to prep these lemon pepper chicken wings and the delightful sauce that goes along with them. Here’s how you do it. Don’t forget to scroll down to see the full recipe.
- Brush the wings with olive oil. Set a cooling rack atop a rimmed baking sheet and arrange the wings on top. Brush them (both sides) with olive oil.
- Bake. Pop the baking sheet in the oven at 425 F and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Make the sauce. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave and add the remainder of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Douse the wings in the sauce. When the wings come out of the oven, place them in the bowl with the sauce and toss to coat.
- Garnish. Add a few twists of cracked black pepper, a bit of lemon zest, and serve with a couple slices of fresh lemon.
What’s The Secret to Crispy Chicken Wings?
No one wants chicken wings with rubbery skin. You want that crisp bite before sinking your teeth into succulent chicken. Here’s how to get crispy skin.
- Dry the chicken. Use a paper towel to blot the wings. This will remove some moisture and allow the skin to crisp up.
- Use the broiler. If your wings aren’t as crispy as you would like when it comes time to take them out of the oven, turn on the broiler and allow the wings to sit under it. Watch them carefully until they achieve the desired crispiness.
- Baking powder. If you would like, you can add baking powder to your wings before baking to help them crisp up. Check out this fun article to understand why baking powder can help you achieve crispy wings.
Can You Make These In The Air Fryer?
Yes! You can definitely make these in the air fryer but they’ll take a bit of time since you’ll have to do them in batches. The prep is the same. The temperature should be at 400 degrees F and about 18 minutes cooking time. Make sure to flip/shake halfway through!
Tips for Success
This simple recipe is an easy ace for anyone who sets their mind to it. That being said, there are a few tricks that I suggest keeping in mind if you want truly spectacular lemon pepper chicken wings.
- Keep it crispy. When it comes to wings, you want nice crispy skin. Luckily, there are some pretty foolproof ways to make this happen. Check out the section above for more details.
- Don’t skip the cooling rack. Baking the chicken directly on a baking sheet will yield wings that are unevenly crispy. Placing them on a cooling rack will let heat circulate, allowing for even cooking and a greater percentage of crispy skin.
- Set yourself up for easy cleanup. Consider lining the baking sheet with aluminum foil to avoid a mess. You likely won’t even have to wash the baking sheet!
What to Serve with Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Lemon pepper chicken wings are a fun, stand-alone snack or appetizer, but they go very nicely with other goodies as well, including dips, salads, and hearty side dishes.
- Homemade Tzatziki Dip
- Homemade Chimichurri
- Chopped Endive and Romaine Salad
- Arugula Spinach Pesto Orzo Salad
- Crispy Parmesan Potatoes
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Don’t be afraid of making a little extra here. These wings are just as tasty the next day if reheated properly. Here is how to store and reheat them.
- Storing. Allow the wings to cool to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container and placing them in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 3 days.
- Reheating. Preheat the oven to 350 F. While the oven is warming, remove the wings from the refrigerator, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and allow them to come to room temperature. Pop them in the oven for 6 minutes, turn them over, and bake for an additional 5-6 minutes.
Can You Freeze Oven Baked Wings?
Yes you can! Allow the wings to cool to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container and placing them in the freezer. They will stay good for up to 3 months. When it comes time to enjoy, allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating just as you would after refrigerating.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Lemon pepper chicken wings are a great example of a recipe that transforms “just chicken” into something special. There are plenty of recipes that turn this versatile meat into a meal worth writing home about. These are some of my other favorites.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Orange Chicken
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Basic BBQ Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Sheet Pan Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
Lemon Pepper Wings
- 1 ½ pounds (680 g) chicken wings, about 16 wings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (218 °C)
- Set wings on top of a cooling rack set atop a rimmed baking sheet. Brush each wing with olive oil on both sides.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (depending on the size of your wings), until they’re golden brown and crispy.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter then add to a larger bowl and stir or whisk in the lemon pepper seasoning, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add wings to the bowl, and toss until they’re evenly coated.
- Serve garnished with a crack or two of black pepper, a little more lemon zest, and some lemon slices on the side.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.