The weather is getting cooler but that is not stopping me from thinking of light pasta recipes like this Mediterranean farfalle toss with shrimp!
It incorporates light and fresh ingredients that you find in the Mediterranean diet and it includes my favorite ingredient to cook with: pasta!
Pasta fuels my creativity. It’s the perfect base that allows me to express my individuality because of how versatile pasta is. I have the choice to add in my favorite veggie, lean protein, or fresh herbs and it’s already a unique meal in on its own!
It’s perfect year-round and for any occasion.
What ingredients are part of the Mediterranean diet?
There are so many wholesome ingredients that are part of the Mediterranean diet and I tried to incorporate as many of them into this pasta toss as possible.
I love light pasta tosses such as this recipe showcased here because it just exudes bright and fresh flavors!
The ingredients that make up the Mediterranean diet include, but not limited to:
- Lean and strong cheese
- Lean meats and fish
- Fresh herbs
I’ve tossed in a few of my favorite ingredients in this recipe. The full recipe is below so be sure to check that out for the rest of the ingredient list!
Pasta is part of the Mediterranean diet?
Oh yes, it is! What great news, right?
The Mediterranean diet is a healthy way of eating inspired by the traditional dietary patterns of the Mediterranean region.
It incorporates quality food groups, including pasta, that should be eaten often and in reasonable quantities.
I can get behind that! Who doesn’t love eating pasta more often?
Tips for making this easy, light and refreshing pasta dish
Get FRESH shrimp! It makes all the difference. Trust me.
Frozen is great in a pinch but there is nothing like fresh shrimp!
The texture is just so much better and so is the flavor.
If you are interested in more pasta ideas, here are some recipes below that I think you’ll love! All these pasta shapes can be found in Barilla’s extensive line of pasta shapes.
- Marsala Chicken Rigatoni and Mushroom Pasta
- Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta
- Linguine and Clam Sauce
- Basil Lemon Pesto Pasta with Zucchini
- Pasta with Poached Egg, Asparagus, and Lemon
Mediterranean Farfalle Toss with Shrimp
- 1/2 box Barilla Farfalle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Handful of basil, chopped
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and follow the directions on the Barilla box and cook the pasta until al dente.
- In the meantime, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet and turn the heat up to medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and cook until browned on both sides and just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the tomatoes, olives, and capers. Gently toss to evenly distribute ingredients then add the juice of the lemon.
- Once pasta is done cooking, drain and add directly to the skillet with the other ingredients. Toss to incorporate.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil on top and add parmesan cheese and chopped basil and toss again.
- Serve warm and enjoy!