Annnnnd just like that, we’re already on the last day of September. Crazy, isn’t it? There’s less than 3 months til Christmas. CHRISTMAS. I didn’t expect to be thinking about Christmas gifts so soon but I guess we all need to jump on it soon before the malls get way crowded. Honestly, I hope I can do all my shopping on Amazon this year. I refuse to go to the mall during the holiday rush. People and crowds just annoy me. Yet another reason why I love StitchFix ;)
My parents celebrated their 29th wedding anniversary this past weekend! It’s funny because 9/28 was also the wedding date Jason and I were looking at to get married when we got engaged. Good thing we didn’t wait that long. We’ve been married 5 months now! Probably still sounds new to a lot of you but it sure is going by fast!
Oh my gosh, so I discovered these two stations on Sirius XM, 90s on 9 and Pop2K. It’s basically an entire station dedicated to hit songs in the 90s and hit songs in the 2000s. Some of the songs that they play are crazy throwbacks and have me belting out in the car…until another car pulls up next to and gives me a weird look. No shame! These songs really bring me back – isn’t it amazing how music can bring back a flood of memories and make you so nostalgic? Jason and I are sitting in the car, when listening to these stations, and we’re like, “are we seriously listening to this stuff? Is this like the oldies station for us now?” Haha, yup, we’re getting old :) just yesterday, I offered to bring a “spare baby gate” to my friend’s house in two weeks when we have a get together. I know 5 years ago I wasn’t offering any baby gates; it was more like “what boxed wine should I pick up?” LOL oh how times have changed..
Here are 3 songs that I grew up listening to on the hits stations and every time they come up on the 90s/Pop2K stations, I freak out.
What are some of your favorite songs from when you were growing up? When you hear them on the radio, do you freak out like I do? :)
So you guys know I’m always looking for quick and easy weeknight meals. When I saw this on Kevin and Amanda‘s blog, I knew I had to make. It had all the ingredients I love and it comes together in ONE pot. That’s such a lifesaver. Minimal dishwashing is my jam.
You have to give this spicy sausage pasta a try. The flavors have a dance party in your mouth. I love the cheesy spicy component of this pasta and I also love the smoked sausage. It gives the dish a flavor boost. It’s a comfort dish that you’ll be serving week after week!
Spicy Sausage Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1: 10 oz can of tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 10 oz wagon wheel pasta (that's what my store called the shape; you can use anything, penne, rotini, etc)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- In an oven safe pot (such as a Le Creuset dutch oven) or skillet, add olive oil and heat to medium high heat. Add the sausage and onions and cook until brown and soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, can of tomatoes and green chilies, heavy cream, pasta, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low heat, cover and let simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes, depending on what type of pasta you're using.
- Remove pot/skillet from heat and add 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir to combine then top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Broil in the oven until the top of the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.