Sorry this post was a little delayed. Since I had to get up the Anderson Cooper Live post late last night, I wanted to give that post a bit of spotlight before I featured this amazing dip.
I first heard/had my first sampling of pepperoni pizza dip when I went to a friend’s Stella & Dot trunk show party. She had a huge spread of apps, dips, drinks, cheese, olives – so much stuff! But I was that girl that hovered over the pepperoni pizza dip like I owned it. I pretty much could’ve just taken the entire casserole dish away and eaten it myself, cause you know, I’m such a healthy person. You guys, it was SO addicting. I knew I had to ask her for the recipe. She told me it was “super easy” to put together. Just cream cheese, cream of mushroom, and pepperoni.
I didn’t think that cream of mushroom would really fit in with this dip when I made it so I gave it my own spin by subbing sour cream for the cream of mushroom. This dip is not healthy, by any means, but it’s ADDICTING. I LOVE pepperoni pizza and it’s awesome that it can be made in dip form. You won’t even miss the pizza! I guarantee you that you should probably make a double batch if you’re having a bunch of friends over. It will go so fast and you’ll regret not having another batch.
The key to the super cheesyness is to use WHOLE MILK mozzarella. I can’t begin to tell you how much of a difference whole milk cheese is compared to low-fat or 2% cheeses are. Worlds different. Like game-changer. Obviously it’s not great for you to have whole milk cheese all the time, but c’mon, who really eats healthy during sports games, anyway? Indulge a little! :)
- 2 (8 oz.) packets of cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole mozzarella cheese, shredded, plus more for topping
- 1 cup pepperoni, sliced to half moons
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella, pepperoni, basil, and olive oil.
- Place mixture into a casserole dish and evenly smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Take extra mozzarella cheese and cover the top of the mixture. Then take whole pepperoni rounds and place them on top of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and cheese has melted.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips or sliced bread.