Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole
Turkey chorizo burgers with guacamole are the perfect addition to your Labor Day cookout menu! Ring in the last days of summer with these flavorful burgers!
It’s so hard to believe that we’re wrapping up on the last week of summer, well, I guess school break-wise, but summer’s end is not far! It always seems that summer is much shorter than winter. Maybe because the cold just lingers around longer where we live. Although, I’m sure the Northeast can beg to differ ;) I’m definitely ready for cooler weather, Fall baking, comfort dishes, soups, casseroles, and everything the cooler weather brings! I’m just not ready for snow. I don’t know if I’ll ever be ready for snow! Haha, I’m just not a snow bunny :) I’m a beach bum, hehe
These burgers – I kid you not – I made them for July 4th and I’m just now posting them. Oops! But doesn’t it come at perfect time? I mean, I’m sure a lot of you are going to be taking advantage of the grill this coming weekend, right? Perfect time to make some turkey chorizo burgers with guacamole :)
I love the combination of turkey and chorizo in this burger. It’s a unique combination that I never thought to use until I saw it in Fine Cooking magazine. Turkey burgers can get kind of dry (sometimes) but with the help of the chorizo, it keeps it moist because of the chorizo’s fat content and the flavors are meld so well together. The guacamole on this burger – I mean, what else can I really say? It rounds out the burger. It makes the burger what it is! I love the creaminess and it’s just a perfect match for the chorizo to tie in the Mexican flare.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ pound chorizo sausage
- 2 avocados, pit removed
- ¼ medium red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 4 buns, cut in half and toasted
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese (or whichever cheese you prefer to use)
- 4 slices of tomato
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- In a large bowl, gently combine ground turkey and chorizo then form four ½ inch thick patties (mine were definitely way thicker than this so try to keep them on the thinner side so it won’t be so hard/messy to eat) and using your thumb, press down the center of the burger to keep the patty from puffing up when grilling.
- In place the patties on the grill and cook for about 7-10 minutes or whenever the meat thermometer reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the center of the burger. Turn the grill to low heat and place the cheese slices on each patty and let it melt gently, about 1 minute.
- While the burgers are cooking, mash the avocados with the back of a fork until mostly smooth. Mix in the red onion, lime, salt, and pepper.
- To assemble the burger, spoon a heaping spoonful of guacamole on the bottom of the buns then add the tomato slice. Place the turkey chorizo patty on top of the tomato slice then place the other half of the bun on top. Repeat with all the other burgers.