Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Casserole has all of the satisfactory elements of a comforting side with with none of the carbs! Pop this casserole in the oven and relish in your new favorite cheesy, easy side dish.
Keto queens, this one’s for you!
Honestly, even those of you who are like me and decidedly not on a low-carb diet and those that love cauliflower will also love this easy side dish recipe.
Tender cauliflower coated in creamy cheese and baked to lightly browned perfection is just too good!
This cauliflower casserole gives cauliflower its glow-up. Honestly, cauliflower is probably one of my favorite sides to serve, especially roasted like this delicious crazy roasted cauliflower recipe.
On the other hand, this cheesy cauliflower casserole gives me the same cheesy goodness I love about sides like mac and cheese, just with none of the carbs! Besides it being low-carb, this dish is also loaded with vitamin and nutrients from the cauliflower.
So next time you want to plate your entree with something on the lighter side that’s still go lots of satisfying elements to it, this is the dish for you!
It’s warm, cheesy, and oh-so comforting, all while still filling. Go ahead, have seconds!
What to grab for this cheesy goodness to come together:
- Cauliflower – Use fresh, not frozen cauliflower.
- Garlic – Fresh or pre-minced will both get the job done.
- Green onion – This adds so much freshness to the dish as a whole.
- Olive oil – Avocado oil is a good substitute.
- Heavy cream – To keep the cheese perfectly creamy!
- Cheddar cheese – Freshly grated cheese will always yield the best flavor.
- Salt and pepper – Just a few pinches of each.
- If you’re debating whether or not to use white or yellow cheddar cheese, it really doesn’t matter! I used yellow cheddar cheese for the color but the only difference between white and yellow cheddar cheese is simply the color. Just make sure you’re using extra sharp, sharp, or regular based on how major you want the cheddar flavor to be. I always opt for extra sharp cheddar!
- If you want to mix in broccoli to make this extra cruciferous veggie filled, it would be a great addition! You could do half and half and everything else with the recipe would stay the same!
- It’s easy to make this vegan — simply use a plant-based milk for the heavy cream and use a plant-based cheese option. Violife makes some great shredded cheddar and it melts fairly well.
Tips to make your cheesy cauliflower casserole just a bit extra:
For a crunchy crust on top, follow all of the directions until it’s fully baked. Then, mix together 2/3 cup of panko breadcrumbs with a pad of melted butter then sprinkle it on top of the casserole. Stick it back in the oven on broil (watch it extremely closely) to brown the top.
For a cheesy crust on top, follow all of the directions until it’s fully baked. Then, sprinkle a heaping of cheese on top of the casserole and set the oven to broil. Broil it for just a few minutes until the top is golden brown and bubbling, then enjoy your super cheesy casserole!
For the best of both worlds (cheesy and crunchy crust), follow all of the directions until it’s fully baked. Then, mix together 2/3 cup of panko breadcrumbs with a pad of melted butter and heaping 1/2 cup of cheese. Evenly sprinkle all over the top of the casserole then broil it for just a little bit until the top is golden and browned.
How long will this cheesy baked cauliflower casserole stay fresh?
If you have any leftovers of this dish, they’ll stay fresh for up to 5 days.
Just make sure to keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Also, this dish is best when reheated back in the oven for a few minutes. The microwave makes the cauliflower lose its firmer consistency.
Keep your side dishes light, but delicious!
Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and preheat oven to 375 °F
- Chop cauliflower head into florets and add to boiling water. Boil for 5-7 minutes to soften but do not overcook the cauliflower.
- Place cauliflower into an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Chop the green onion and separate the white part from the green one. Mince garlic cloves.
- Add olive oil to a saucepan, heat it on the stove over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and the white part of the green onion, stir for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream, bring it to boil, stirring continuously. After boiling point, remove from heat. Pour the cream over the cauliflower florets.
- Cover the cauliflower with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until fork-tender and golden.
- Serve immediately, sprinkle the green part of the onion on top.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.