On those days when you need a classic sweet treat with no frills, plug in the blender and make a Cookies and Cream Milkshake! This tried and true recipe calls for just four ingredients and minimal hassle free steps. It’s creamy, sweet, and perfectly filled with plenty of Oreos!
If it’s not broke, don’t break it, right? Cookies and cream milkshakes have been around since 1979 when students and a dairy plant manager at South Dakota State University decided to blend some Oreos with ice cream. The rest, as they say, is history! While there are plenty of way you can dress up this classic milkshake, I like it just the way it should be.
And the way it should be is creamy, decadent, and loaded with Oreos! You only need vanilla ice cream, milk, Oreos, and a splash of vanilla extract to make this tried and true American classic. While you can go to any diner, drive-thru, or shake spot to grab a Cookies and Cream Milkshake, I like making them right at home.
When you make milkshakes at home, you can control exactly what goes into them. You can make the consistency more or less thick to your liking, add more Oreos without an upcharge, and garnish the top of it however you’d like. Plus, why would you ever want to pay anything over $5 for a milkshake that’s so delightfully simple?!
What You’ll Need:
- Ice Cream – Vanilla ice cream is the sweet and basic base that lets the Oreos shine.
- Milk – I use whole milk for the most creamy consistency.
- Oreos – If you want a fun pop of color, check out what they have on the shelves! Sometimes, there will be seasonal Oreos (think Christmas and Halloween) that have the signature Oreo flavor, but with a special color cream in the middle.
- Vanilla Extract – For the best flavor, use pure vanilla extract, not imitation.
How to Make an Oreo Milkshake
For more detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post.
Blend. Toss all of your ingredients in to a blender and pulse until smooth.
Enjoy! Serve immediately and enjoy your creamy concoction!
Can I make it vegan? Yep! Just swap out the ice cream and milk for plant based replacements. Oreos are already vegan, so no replacement needed there!
Can I make it boozy? The answer to this question is always YES! You can add a shot or two of Bailey’s and/or Godiva chocolate liqueur to make this milkshake for adults only.
Have any extra Oreos?
Cookies and Cream Milkshake
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4-5 Oreo’s
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a blender, throw all your ingredients in and mix it up!
- If you like it thicker, use less milk. If you like it thinner, use more milk.
- Serve immediately, I mean, why wouldn’t you?
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.