A simple russet potato recipe
I know this seems like a simple post (and I’m sure some of you think it’s a cop-out ’cause I’ve had emails with people telling me my pizza recipes are cop-outs, haha) but you won’t believe the number of requests I get on roasting potatoes and what our favorite way to roast potatoes is.
So here it is in all its glory!
Our favorite way to roast potatoes, specifically with russet potatoes.
Jason loves this seasoning blend that I use and quite frankly, I do too!
Sometimes a simple russet potato recipe is all you need.
Nothing needs to be too fancy!
How do you get a crispy exterior?
High temperature is your friend.
The oil on the potato’s exterior will crisp it up.
You want that crispy exterior so don’t be afraid to use a higher temperature.
Do you have to use a russet potato?
No, you could virtually use any potato and use the same seasoning blend.
Can you leave the skin on the russet potato?
I actually keep the skin on for mini red potatoes, mini rainbow potatoes, and fingerlings.
I am just used to peeling russet potatoes and baking potatoes for some reason.
How do you know when the potatoes are done?
When you can stick a fork into it and easily slide it in and out, it’s done!
My potatoes are taking longer to cook
This may be because of how thick you cut them.
If they aren’t cooked through at the end of baking time, let them cook longer.
If you love potatoes and are looking for more russet potato recipes, these may be of interest to you:
- Cheesy hashbrown casserole
- Curly fries
- Twice-baked loaded ranch potatoes
- Slow cooker chorizo, potato, and two-bean chili
Our Favorite Way to Roast Potatoes
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, rinsed, and diced into quarter cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together potatoes oil, and seasoning.
- Pour potatoes onto baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake on the middle rack in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Flip the potatoes halfway through the cooking process.