This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is an easy and delicious way to make a hearty, flavorful meal. The slow cooker locks in the flavor of all the ingredients, creating a wonderfully rich and comforting soup. The perfect combination of chicken, tomatoes, chilies, and spices creates a tantalizingly spicy taste that will have your family begging for seconds.
There is something about soup that has been simmering in a slow cooker all day that you really can’t beat. Slow cooker recipes like soups are some of my favorites to make because of how easy they are but also because they’re great for large batch cooking if you need to double the recipe.
Chicken tortilla soup made in a slow cooker is loaded with delicious flavors like tangy tomatoes, jalapeños, smoky cumin and chili powder, sweet corn, and hearty chicken. The combination of these ingredients creates a savory and satisfying dish that will quickly become a family favorite! The aromas of this soup will envelope your kitchen as it slowly cooks throughout the day. It’s the perfect meal to set and forget and have it waiting for you when you get home.
What is chicken tortilla soup?
Chicken tortilla soup is a classic Mexican-style soup made with chicken, tomatoes, chilies, and spices. It’s usually served in broth (like this recipe) or a creamy base. Tortillas are added either as strips to the soup itself or as chips for dipping, adding a delicious crunchy texture. While traditional versions of this dish can take hours to prepare, slow cooker chicken tortilla soup can be prepared in just a few hours – perfect for busy weeknights!
Why You’ll Love This
- Quick and easy. Simply throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker, turn it on, and let it do its magic! No need for complicated prep or special cooking techniques.
- Nutritious and flavorful. This dish is packed with vegetables like tomatoes, onions, and corn, plus lean protein from the chicken. Rich flavors like jalapeños, cumin, chili powder, and fresh cilantro come together wonderfully in this dish for a delicious and complex flavor combination that will please everyone.
- Perfect for meal prep. Whether you are away from the house all day or doing your Sunday meal prep for the week, this soup keeps extremely well so it’s easy to plan ahead. Making for a friend who just had a baby? Or someone who’s sick? This is a great freezer meal as well.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make crockpot chicken tortilla soup. Make sure to scroll down to view the full recipe for exact measurements.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Corn kernels – canned or frozen works here
- Diced tomato
- Chicken stock – have you tried my Homemade Chicken Stock yet??
- Green bell pepper
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla strips, for topping – surprisingly, this is not in the chips section of the grocery store but it’s in the salad dressing section!
How To Make Crockpot Tortilla Soup
Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is the exact definition of “dump, set, and forget!” Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
Add mostly all ingredients to the insert of the slow cooker. Add chicken breasts, corn, diced tomato, chicken stock, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to the insert of the slow cooker. Stir to incorporate.
Cook on low. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Serve with toppings. Turn off the slow cooker then serve with shredded cheese and tortilla strips on top. Additional toppings like avocado and sour cream would be great additions as well!
Recipe Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
There are actually various ways to change up this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup to suit your tastes! It’s a versatile recipe and you can use this as a base for your creations. Here are some tips and variation ideas:
- Use chicken thighs. If you have chicken thighs and prefer dark meat, boneless skinless chicken thighs in this would be excellent and have a lot of flavor!
- Add more spice. Prefer things a bit spicier? Add more jalapeno and keep the seeds in tact. Alternatively, add some cayenne pepper or hot salsa or hot sauce.
- Add beans. To bulk up the soup and make it even heartier, add some beans! Red beans, black beans, or white beans work well in this.
- Use parmesan crisps. If you like things extra cheesy and crunchy for texture, parmesan crisps would be an awesome topping on this soup!
- Use low-sodium chicken broth. You can always add more salt but you can’t take it out! Try to opt for low-sodium, if possible.
- Use at least a 6 quart slow cooker. There is a decent amount of liquid in this soup, as it is a broth-based soup, so you’ll want to use at least a 6 quart slow cooker so it doesn’t overflow!
- Swap for the Instant Pot. Yes, you can make this in the Instant Pot if you’re pressed for time! Add everything (except the cheese and tortilla strips) and set the manual pressure to high and set the time to 20 minutes. Shred the chicken and add it back into the soup when finished.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Allow the soup to cool to room temperature then put into an airtight container with a lid and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, pop in the microwave or stovetop until heated through.
To freeze, allow the soup to cool then add into freezer-safe containers (such as Souper Cubes) and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, place into a pot on the stove and reheat through. You may need to add more liquid, if desired.
What to Serve with Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Bread. Who doesn’t love using some good ole fashioned carbs to sop up all the soupy goodness? Try these bread options: Garlic Herb Parker House Rolls, Homemade Naan, Garlicky and Cheesy Bread, Easy Garlic Knots.
- Salad. Soup and salad, just like at the restaurant! Here are some ideas: Quick Basic Chopped Salad, Warm Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad, BLT Pasta Salad, Broccoli Salad, Harvest Chopped Salad Bowl.
- Dessert. Dessert is always a must after dinner. Here are my favorites: Tres Leches Cake, Chocolate Tres Leches Cake, The Best Chocolate Mug Cake.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound (454 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 15 ounce (425 g) can of sweet whole corn kernels, drained
- 15 ounce (425 g) can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 5 cups (1183 ml) chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, de-seeded, de-veined, and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Tortilla strips, for topping
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- In the insert of your crockpot, add all ingredients except cheese & tortilla strips. Stir around in crockpot to make sure seasonings are well mixed.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Prior to serving, remove chicken breasts with tongs and put into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, on low speed, shred the chicken.
- Place back in the slow cooker, stir around to distribute evenly.
- Serve hot topped with cheese and tortilla strips.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Photographs by Eat Love Eat