Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

• These zucchini chips are so light and crisp! The perfect snack!

These easy oven-baked zucchini chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! They’re oven-baked to crisp perfection!

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! Did I mention they were healthy, too?
    Zucchini chips; a healthier alternative to potato chips!

I came up with the recipe for zucchini chips because I always bought the bags of veggie straws at Costco.

Those things are ADDICTING and while they claim they’re “healthier” than chips, they can’t be that healthy if you eat an entire bag in one sitting, haha!

Zucchini season is also one of my favorite produce seasons.

There is so much you can do with zucchini.

You can spiralize zucchini and make a stir fry with them or you can shred them up and they make for the most moist turkey meatballs, ever!

You can of course make these zucchini chips, too. It’s definitely a fun and unique take on what to make with all your zucchini!

What you need to make this zucchini chips recipe and how to make zucchini chips!

I LOVE zucchini and how abundant it is in the summer, but it’s also a vegetable you can find year-round.

So for this recipe, you basically just need zucchini and oil and seasonings. That’s it!

Haha, I know that was so obvious, wasn’t it?

And we all know when it’s zucchini season, there are always questions on what to do with all the zucchini!

Zucchini chips would be my answer. They’re light, crisp, and incredibly easy to make!

They’re also paleo-friendly!

I remember when I was on my paleo challenge, I would make these because they were a paleo-friendly way to eat chips without all the carbs, haha

Of course, I would highly suggest a mandolin to make these super thin slices but if you have the knife skills for it, then more power to you!

Can you make zucchini chips in a dehydrator?

This is probably the number one question that I get! Unfortunately, I don’t have experience using a dehydrator because I don’t have one myself but I know that there have been people who have done it before with success.

However, I’d just like to point out that this zucchini chips recipe that is made in the oven is basically like using your oven as a dehydrator.

Because of how low the temperature is and how long you bake it for, you’re basically drying out the zucchini so it’s like a dehydrator.

Can you bread these zucchini chips?

There was a recipe floating around the internet that stole my image and created an entirely different recipe with it.

Basically false advertising.

If you add any sort of breading to these, they will not be as crispy as these photos show.

Mine burned to a crisp.

When I say put it in the oven, I don’t mean to walk away from it entirely.

You’ll need to check up on it every now and then.

Every oven is different. Every oven has a different hot spot/zone.

You need to watch it to make sure.

If it looks like it’s burning or turning brown too quickly, you can tent a piece of foil on top.

Why are my zucchini chips soggy and not crispy?

There are actually a multitude of reason why your zucchini chips may be soggy and not crispy. Here are some common reasons:

• Thinly sliced zucchini rounds is a must. If you watch the video below, you will see I used a mandolin slicer.
    • You must use paper towels to press out excess liquid. This is key.
    • You must lightly oil the zucchini chips. A little goes a long way!
    • You must bake the zucchini chips at 225 degrees Fahrenheit until you see that most liquid/oil has cooked off. The reason why some people have said it sticks to parchment paper and/or the chips are soggy is because you didn’t cook them long enough. Once the oil has cooked off completely, the chips will crisp up and not be soggy, therefore it won’t stick onto the parchment paper.
    • It might stick to your parchment paper because you are trying to remove it from the oven too quickly and not giving it enough time to actually crisp up.
    • You also should let it cool on the parchment paper for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove it from the parchment paper.
    • Patience.

If you love zucchini chips, you may like these recipes with zucchini:

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! #zucchinichips #zucchini #zucchinirecipes

5 from 6 votes

Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

Thin, crispy, and irresistible! These zucchini chips are a great way to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cook Time: 2 hrs
    Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
    Course: Snack
    Cuisine: American
    Servings (adjustable, but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings): 50 chips
    Calories: 54kcal
    5 Hassle-Free Ways to Simplify MealtimeSign up here for all the secrets!

Ingredients

• 1 large zucchini
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • Kosher salt

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17" baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.
    • Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used 2.
    • After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it'll cook a bit faster.
    • Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.
    • In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
    • Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it's better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it'll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
    • Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren't soggy and are crisp.
    • Let cool before removing and serving.
    • Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.

Notes

**Updated March 5, 2017**
    Nutrition Facts
    Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
    Amount Per Serving (10 chips)
    Calories 54 Calories from Fat 45
    % Daily Value*
    Fat 5g8%
    Carbohydrates 1g0%
    Sugar 1g1%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    *Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.

There is an affiliate link within this post.

• 599 Comments
    Julie Wampler of Table for Two
    Meet The Author: Julie Wampler
    Dinner for Two Cookbook
    Order My Cookbook!

Dinner for Two

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Jenny @ BAKE says:

these look delicious! I went to an amazing farmers market when I was in california and I have never found anything close to it in the UK!

• Kathryn says:

I’ve never thought about doing this with zucchini – I have to say that it’s not my favourite vegetable but I think baking it in thin slices like this might convince me otherwise!

• sally @ sallys baking addiction says:

As if I needed another reason to hoard Kevin’s mom’s garden for zucchinis. Julie, these my dear.. look like the perfect veggie chip. And in my own opinion.. if you want to make the perfect crispy veggie like this, you just gotta put up with it and wait. All worth it in the end. I’d smother these in ketchup because… i’m weird. :)

• DessertForTwo says:

This is, hands down, my favorite part of summer!

• Amanda at the red table says:

yay! another great-looking zucchini recipe. I had a zucchini given to me the other day that was the size of my arm — wish I’d seen this so I could have used some of the SIX CUPS of zucchini slices I got out of that thing!

• shelly (cookies and cups) says:

I finally just bought a mandolin! Annd I have a million zucchini I need to use. So done and done!

• Gina @ Running to the Kitchen says:

Joining a CSA this year was one of the best things I’ve done. Everything just tastes a million times better than regular supermarket produce. I desperately want a mandolin now to make these. I have zucchini up the wazoo over here!

• claire @ the realistic nutritionist says:

Which CSA did you sign up for? I’ve been looking for an affordable one around here!! Love these.

• Julie says:

I signed up for: http://www.washingtonsgreengrocer.com/ :) they’re so awesome! I got the “small mixed box” and let me tell you – it’s NOT small. It’s like 15 pounds haha..they also have a “small organic box” and you can swap things out that you don’t want and also add a la carte farm fresh stuff that’s not already in the box, like milk, cheeses, meats, etc :)

• Ali | Gimme Some Oven says:

These are too cute!!! Glad you’re making good use of your zucchini! :)

• Karen says:

I tried these and so did a friend of mine. They never got crispy like a chi, they were soggy and burnt

• Megan {Country Cleaver} says:

I am loving the zucchini chips. There is only sooo much zucchini bread any one person can make before they need something else. And chips are top of my list for “devouring without abandon” right now. :)

• Cathy @ Noble Pig says:

You have mad mandoline skills…these are gorgeous.

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) says:

Those look excellent!

• Bev @ Bev Cooks says:

Oh heck yaaa!

• amy @ fearless homemaker says:

What a smart use of all the fresh, local zucchini that’s everywhere these days. Gorgeous pics, too! =)

• Cand Davis says:

Wow, these look and sound amazing!
    I’m going to have to make them ASAP!

• katie says:

ummm this sounds amazing! Never thought to make zucchini chips!

• Cassie says:

I adore veggie chips too. These look sooo good! I used to use a produce deliver service (that was organic too!) but cancelled it since we live 2 blocks from our city market now. I don’t want summer to end, I have loved every single weekend this summer filling up on fresh produce. I hope you enjoy the deliveries!

• Diane {Created by Diane} says:

These look GREAT! I love zucchini and can’t wait to try them.

• amanda @ fake ginger says:

Mmm, love these! I haven’t been buying much zucchini this year because I don’t have any recipe I want to try but now I have an excuse! Hopefully my kids will eat them!

• Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

So simple and healthy! I miss my old farmer’s market. It’s too far to be worth heading to and I haven’t found one locally since the move.

• What a great idea! I love veggie chips!

• Jackie @ Domestic Fits says:

There is a place in LA called Love Deliveries and they are awesome. Just a huge basket of local organic love once a week. And I am now the proud owner of the most gigantic zucchini I’ve ever seen. And it will probably be made into these chips TONIGHT! with my fanciest of sea salts, of course.

• Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says:

I am up to my ears with zucchini from our garden. I am definitely making these soon! Great idea!

• Anna says:

I made these tonight with yellow squash. DELICIOUS!!

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious says:

I should really take advantage of the farmers’ market out here! I get so lazy on the weekends though. Yeah, I know, I’m so bad.

But I’m glad you scored this awesome zucchini! The chips look so incredibly thin and crisp! And veggie chips are healthy so I would totally stuff my face in these!

• Anna @ hiddenponies says:

I’m glad slicing these was so relaxing :) And I love zucchini season – can never have too many delicious ways to use it!

• Mackenzie says:

Yepp – I need to bust out my mandoline. These chips look awesome… and bonus: I don’t have to feel guilty if I just sit on the couch and eat handful after handful!

• Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker says:

I love this idea! They look so good, and I have so much zucchini coming out of the garden, this is a perfect way to use some up.

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says:

Love this idea!! I need to make them soon. Wonder if this will actually get my guys to eat veggies :)

• Catalina @ Cake with Love says:

These look so perfect, so crispy and delicious! I have to try them asap!!

• Carla @ Carlas Confections says:

I just went to a farmers market on Saturday. It was so much fun, albeit 1000 degrees out. I love having the fresh ingredients too. Man, I keep seeing all these recipes you are making, and its just reminding me of all the things I need to buy! Now on the list is… stand mixer, food processor, mandolin, doughnut pan. Thanks Julie ;) No but really, these look fantastic! And as always, your photos are stunning!

• Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes says:

LOVE this! I actually haven’t tried veggie chips before, and at times like these when summer squash is on and popping, I’m always looking for new ways to use it up. Thanks for this luscious idea!!

• Baking Serendipity says:

I love the veggie chips from Costco too! And have so much zucchini in my world…this is the perfect solution :)

• Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie says:

This is such a fun twist on the usual oven chips – and a great way to utilize all of the gorgeous zuchini at the markets right now!

I think my mandoline slicer will be getting a little more face time in the near future ;)

• Nikki says:

I can’t stand how gorgeous these chips are! And, you cracked me up about how you were disappointed to reach the end of the zucchini. lol! I’ll be making these for sure, as I need another reason to use my fun OXO slicer! woohoo!!

• Renee says:

Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days. * yeah right… like these would even last an hour… YUM YUM YUM

• Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen says:

I’m totally obsessed with zucchini! These chips looks so fun!

• Stephanie says:

So simple! I’m going to give this a try, thanks!

• Tina Bowers says:

How long would you leave these in a food dehydrator? I will deffinitely make these in the oven but would love to use my dehydrator for this also.

• Julie says:

I, unfortunately, have no idea. I don’t have a dehydrator nor have I ever used one so I would not even be able to give you any sort of guesses. Sorry!

• Susie says:

I also live in DC Metro area & I am completely addicted to Farmers Markets. They are harder to find out here, but they do exist! I am in Alexandria, VA and just in my area, we have one on Friday afternoons (Kingstowne), Sunday mornings (Bren Mar), & Sat, of course. (Old Town & Del Ray.) Feel free to email me if you want more info on how to find yours! (And I am trying this recipe TODAY since I have way too many zuccinis from last weeks Farmers Market run!)

• Jen says:

These look soooo yummy! I’m going to make these right now to have tonight with our veggie burgers. Thanks for sharing!

I love farmers markets for the items that I don’t grow myself.

• Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out says:

These look great! What an awesome way to use up zucchini (that doesn’t involve flour, butter, or sugar…I might like zucchini bread too much).

• Heather Turner says:

What brand of mandoline do you use? I bought & returned an OXO one from Bed Bath & Beyond (about $50) because I didn’t feel like it sliced good. I would love to get one that works good!

• Julie says:

Mine’s actually OXO!

• jennifer olsen says:

I do not have a cutting tool. How thisck do you think the slices are pre-baked?? Thanks for all of the great ideas!!

• Julie says:

I feel like they’d be 1/4 inch thick.

• Julie says:

Actually, most likely a lot thinner than that. Just slice them paper thin with a knife.

• Gailann says:

would a food processor work? Mine would make them super thin…..

• Julie says:

Yes! That’d work!

• Sylvie Paquette says:

Hi there, I loved this post, but in particular I loooove your photography!! Did you take those photos? I am a beginner photographer, and I’m really into food photography, looking to get some advice from everywhere I possibly can :) thank you!

• Elena says:

Trying these tonight!

• Amy says:

225 was way too hot for my oven. Next time I’ll try just under 200.

• elise says:

If you dont have parchment paper can you use tin foil instead.

• 5 Hassle-Free Ways to Simplify Mealtime