Menu

Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

These zucchini chips are so light and crisp! The perfect snack!

These easy oven-baked zucchini chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! Did I mention they were healthy, too? Oven-baked to crisp perfection!

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! Did I mention they were healthy, too?
For a while, I’ve been looking for local farmers markets to go to in my area or CSAs to join. I really like the idea of buying farm fresh ingredients because I’m all about supporting the farming community and Jason and I love fresh ingredients. There is this farmers market near my house that is on Wednesday’s. Kind of annoying because I work. The ones on the weekend are nothing like the ones I went to when I was in California. I’m so jealous of all you West Coasters and your awesome farmers markets. Don’t take them for granted!

My coworker recently told me about this farm fresh delivery service she signed up for. So awesome. I love that everything is from local area farms and they deliver it to your doorstep while you’re at work. They come once a week and deliver a large box and it’s FILLED with a variety of vegetables and fruits. I tried it for the first time this past week and for the haul I got on Wednesday, I scored some pretty sweet loot.

Part of my haul was a large zucchini. I LOVE zucchini. And we all know it’s zucchini season since everyone is up to their ears in them right now. The best part of zucchini season? I’m loving all the zucchini recipes I’m seeing!

Here’s another zucchini recipe to add to your repertoire. Easy oven-baked zucchini chips are both delicious and a healthy way to snack!

Veggie chips rock my world. I buy large bags of them at Costco and go to town. They’re dangerously addicting and I feel like eating the entire bag helps me get more than a day’s worth of veggies in. Haha, or at least I’d like to think that way. Probably not the best.

These oven-baked zucchini chips that I made are definitely made of REAL zucchinis and using my mandolin to slice up these discs was really relaxing. I was kind of sad when I came to the end of the zucchini and couldn’t slice up anymore, lol

These delicate chips take a bit of time to make – honestly, waiting was probably the worst part of it. It’s extremely simple but having to wait for them to finish crisping up was torture! I just wanted to eat them immediately!

Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
2 hr
Total Time
2 hr 10 mins

Thin, crispy, and irresistible! These zucchini chips are a great way to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
Servings: 50 chips
Ingredients
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Kosher salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17" baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.
  2. Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used 2.
  3. After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it'll cook a bit faster.
  4. Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.
  5. In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
  6. Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it's better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it'll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
  7. Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren't soggy and are crisp.
  8. Let cool before removing and serving.
  9. Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.
Recipe Notes

**Updated March 5, 2017**

Here is the video for the recipe if you are a visual person.

I have figured out why some people have said this recipe didn't work for them and/or why it sticks to parchment paper and/or why their chips are soggy. I re-tested this recipe again and it worked out for me if you follow instructions 100%.

• Thinly sliced zucchini rounds is a must. If you watch the video, you will see I used a mandolin slicer.
  • You must use paper towels to press out excess liquid. This is key.
  • You must lightly oil the zucchini chips.
  • You must bake the zucchini chips at 225 degrees Fahrenheit until you see that most liquid/oil has cooked off. The reason why some people have said it sticks to parchment paper and/or the chips are soggy is because you didn't cook them long enough. Once the oil has cooked off completely, the chips will crisp up and not be soggy, therefore it won't stick onto the parchment paper.
  • It might stick to your parchment paper because you are trying to remove it from the oven too quickly and not giving it enough time to actually crisp up.
  • You also should let it cool on the parchment paper for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove it from the parchment paper.
  • Patience is key in this recipe :)

There is an affiliate link within this post.

Posted on August 06, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! Please be patient when asking questions to a recipe as it may take up to 48 hours for me to respond. In the meantime, you may want to read previous comments to see if your question has already been answered. Please take a moment to read my comment policy as a gentle reminder of feedback etiquette. Have a great day!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. 08/06/2012 at 6:35 am

these look delicious! I went to an amazing farmers market when I was in california and I have never found anything close to it in the UK!

2. 08/06/2012 at 7:00 am

I’ve never thought about doing this with zucchini – I have to say that it’s not my favourite vegetable but I think baking it in thin slices like this might convince me otherwise!

3. 08/06/2012 at 7:35 am

As if I needed another reason to hoard Kevin’s mom’s garden for zucchinis. Julie, these my dear.. look like the perfect veggie chip. And in my own opinion.. if you want to make the perfect crispy veggie like this, you just gotta put up with it and wait. All worth it in the end. I’d smother these in ketchup because… i’m weird. :)

4. 08/06/2012 at 7:51 am

This is, hands down, my favorite part of summer!

5. 08/06/2012 at 9:16 am

yay! another great-looking zucchini recipe. I had a zucchini given to me the other day that was the size of my arm — wish I’d seen this so I could have used some of the SIX CUPS of zucchini slices I got out of that thing!

6. 08/06/2012 at 9:18 am

I finally just bought a mandolin! Annd I have a million zucchini I need to use. So done and done!

7. 08/06/2012 at 9:18 am

Joining a CSA this year was one of the best things I’ve done. Everything just tastes a million times better than regular supermarket produce. I desperately want a mandolin now to make these. I have zucchini up the wazoo over here!

8. Which CSA did you sign up for? I’ve been looking for an affordable one around here!! Love these.

• 08/06/2012 at 9:31 am

I signed up for: http://www.washingtonsgreengrocer.com/ :) they’re so awesome! I got the “small mixed box” and let me tell you – it’s NOT small. It’s like 15 pounds haha..they also have a “small organic box” and you can swap things out that you don’t want and also add a la carte farm fresh stuff that’s not already in the box, like milk, cheeses, meats, etc :)

9. 08/06/2012 at 9:36 am

These are too cute!!! Glad you’re making good use of your zucchini! :)

• 07/31/2014 at 7:23 pm

I tried these and so did a friend of mine. They never got crispy like a chi, they were soggy and burnt

10. 08/06/2012 at 9:50 am

I am loving the zucchini chips. There is only sooo much zucchini bread any one person can make before they need something else. And chips are top of my list for “devouring without abandon” right now. :)

11. 08/06/2012 at 10:00 am

You have mad mandoline skills…these are gorgeous.

12. 08/06/2012 at 10:13 am

Those look excellent!

13. 08/06/2012 at 10:17 am

Oh heck yaaa!

14. 08/06/2012 at 11:17 am

What a smart use of all the fresh, local zucchini that’s everywhere these days. Gorgeous pics, too! =)

15. 08/06/2012 at 11:59 am

Wow, these look and sound amazing!
    I’m going to have to make them ASAP!

16. 08/06/2012 at 12:14 pm

ummm this sounds amazing! Never thought to make zucchini chips!

17. 08/06/2012 at 1:23 pm

I adore veggie chips too. These look sooo good! I used to use a produce deliver service (that was organic too!) but cancelled it since we live 2 blocks from our city market now. I don’t want summer to end, I have loved every single weekend this summer filling up on fresh produce. I hope you enjoy the deliveries!

18. 08/06/2012 at 2:42 pm

These look GREAT! I love zucchini and can’t wait to try them.

19. 08/06/2012 at 2:52 pm

Mmm, love these! I haven’t been buying much zucchini this year because I don’t have any recipe I want to try but now I have an excuse! Hopefully my kids will eat them!

20. 08/06/2012 at 3:41 pm

So simple and healthy! I miss my old farmer’s market. It’s too far to be worth heading to and I haven’t found one locally since the move.

21. 08/06/2012 at 4:10 pm

What a great idea! I love veggie chips!

22. 08/06/2012 at 4:29 pm

There is a place in LA called Love Deliveries and they are awesome. Just a huge basket of local organic love once a week. And I am now the proud owner of the most gigantic zucchini I’ve ever seen. And it will probably be made into these chips TONIGHT! with my fanciest of sea salts, of course.

23. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme
    08/06/2012 at 8:41 pm

I am up to my ears with zucchini from our garden. I am definitely making these soon! Great idea!

24. Anna
    08/06/2012 at 10:34 pm

I made these tonight with yellow squash. DELICIOUS!!

25. 08/06/2012 at 11:25 pm

I should really take advantage of the farmers’ market out here! I get so lazy on the weekends though. Yeah, I know, I’m so bad.

But I’m glad you scored this awesome zucchini! The chips look so incredibly thin and crisp! And veggie chips are healthy so I would totally stuff my face in these!

26. 08/07/2012 at 1:38 am

I’m glad slicing these was so relaxing :) And I love zucchini season – can never have too many delicious ways to use it!

27. 08/07/2012 at 8:19 am

Yepp – I need to bust out my mandoline. These chips look awesome… and bonus: I don’t have to feel guilty if I just sit on the couch and eat handful after handful!

28. 08/07/2012 at 10:39 am

I love this idea! They look so good, and I have so much zucchini coming out of the garden, this is a perfect way to use some up.

29. 08/07/2012 at 11:14 am

Love this idea!! I need to make them soon. Wonder if this will actually get my guys to eat veggies :)

30. 08/07/2012 at 11:53 am

These look so perfect, so crispy and delicious! I have to try them asap!!

31. 08/07/2012 at 12:37 pm

I just went to a farmers market on Saturday. It was so much fun, albeit 1000 degrees out. I love having the fresh ingredients too. Man, I keep seeing all these recipes you are making, and its just reminding me of all the things I need to buy! Now on the list is… stand mixer, food processor, mandolin, doughnut pan. Thanks Julie ;) No but really, these look fantastic! And as always, your photos are stunning!

32. 08/07/2012 at 2:51 pm

LOVE this! I actually haven’t tried veggie chips before, and at times like these when summer squash is on and popping, I’m always looking for new ways to use it up. Thanks for this luscious idea!!

33. 08/07/2012 at 9:29 pm

I love the veggie chips from Costco too! And have so much zucchini in my world…this is the perfect solution :)

34. This is such a fun twist on the usual oven chips – and a great way to utilize all of the gorgeous zuchini at the markets right now!

I think my mandoline slicer will be getting a little more face time in the near future ;)

35. 08/08/2012 at 10:50 pm

I can’t stand how gorgeous these chips are! And, you cracked me up about how you were disappointed to reach the end of the zucchini. lol! I’ll be making these for sure, as I need another reason to use my fun OXO slicer! woohoo!!

36. Renee
    08/09/2012 at 9:42 am

Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days. * yeah right… like these would even last an hour… YUM YUM YUM

37. 08/09/2012 at 11:07 am

I’m totally obsessed with zucchini! These chips looks so fun!

38. 08/10/2012 at 12:47 pm

So simple! I’m going to give this a try, thanks!

39. 08/12/2012 at 12:47 pm

How long would you leave these in a food dehydrator? I will deffinitely make these in the oven but would love to use my dehydrator for this also.

• 08/12/2012 at 4:07 pm

I, unfortunately, have no idea. I don’t have a dehydrator nor have I ever used one so I would not even be able to give you any sort of guesses. Sorry!

40. Susie
    08/13/2012 at 11:21 am

I also live in DC Metro area & I am completely addicted to Farmers Markets. They are harder to find out here, but they do exist! I am in Alexandria, VA and just in my area, we have one on Friday afternoons (Kingstowne), Sunday mornings (Bren Mar), & Sat, of course. (Old Town & Del Ray.) Feel free to email me if you want more info on how to find yours! (And I am trying this recipe TODAY since I have way too many zuccinis from last weeks Farmers Market run!)

41. 08/15/2012 at 11:30 am

These look soooo yummy! I’m going to make these right now to have tonight with our veggie burgers. Thanks for sharing!

I love farmers markets for the items that I don’t grow myself.

42. 08/16/2012 at 10:31 pm

These look great! What an awesome way to use up zucchini (that doesn’t involve flour, butter, or sugar…I might like zucchini bread too much).

43. Heather Turner
    08/20/2012 at 9:37 am

What brand of mandoline do you use? I bought & returned an OXO one from Bed Bath & Beyond (about $50) because I didn’t feel like it sliced good. I would love to get one that works good!

• 08/20/2012 at 9:40 am

Mine’s actually OXO!

44. jennifer olsen
    08/21/2012 at 8:03 pm

I do not have a cutting tool. How thisck do you think the slices are pre-baked?? Thanks for all of the great ideas!!

• 08/21/2012 at 10:28 pm

I feel like they’d be 1/4 inch thick.

• 08/21/2012 at 10:29 pm

Actually, most likely a lot thinner than that. Just slice them paper thin with a knife.

• Gailann
        07/20/2014 at 3:37 pm

would a food processor work? Mine would make them super thin…..

• Julie
        07/21/2014 at 11:10 am

Yes! That’d work!

45. Sylvie Paquette
    08/22/2012 at 9:41 pm

Hi there, I loved this post, but in particular I loooove your photography!! Did you take those photos? I am a beginner photographer, and I’m really into food photography, looking to get some advice from everywhere I possibly can :) thank you!

46. Elena
    08/24/2012 at 10:44 am

Trying these tonight!

47. Amy
    08/25/2012 at 4:57 pm

225 was way too hot for my oven. Next time I’ll try just under 200.

48. elise
    09/14/2012 at 11:07 pm

If you dont have parchment paper can you use tin foil instead.

1 2 3 7