Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

• As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

These zucchini chips are so light and crisp! The perfect snack!

These easy oven-baked zucchini chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! They’re oven-baked to crisp perfection!

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! Did I mention they were healthy, too?
    Zucchini chips; a healthier alternative to potato chips!

I came up with the recipe for zucchini chips because I always bought the bags of veggie straws at Costco.

Those things are ADDICTING and while they claim they’re “healthier” than chips, they can’t be that healthy if you eat an entire bag in one sitting, haha!

Zucchini season is also one of my favorite produce seasons.

There is so much you can do with zucchini.

You can spiralize zucchini and make a stir fry with them or you can shred them up and they make for the most moist turkey meatballs, ever!

You can of course make these zucchini chips, too. It’s definitely a fun and unique take on what to make with all your zucchini!

What you need to make this zucchini chips recipe and how to make zucchini chips!

I LOVE zucchini and how abundant it is in the summer, but it’s also a vegetable you can find year-round.

So for this recipe, you basically just need zucchini and oil and seasonings. That’s it!

Haha, I know that was so obvious, wasn’t it?

And we all know when it’s zucchini season, there are always questions on what to do with all the zucchini!

Zucchini chips would be my answer. They’re light, crisp, and incredibly easy to make!

They’re also paleo-friendly!

I remember when I was on my paleo challenge, I would make these because they were a paleo-friendly way to eat chips without all the carbs, haha

Of course, I would highly suggest a mandolin to make these super thin slices but if you have the knife skills for it, then more power to you!

Can you make zucchini chips in a dehydrator?

This is probably the number one question that I get! Unfortunately, I don’t have experience using a dehydrator because I don’t have one myself but I know that there have been people who have done it before with success.

However, I’d just like to point out that this zucchini chips recipe that is made in the oven is basically like using your oven as a dehydrator.

Because of how low the temperature is and how long you bake it for, you’re basically drying out the zucchini so it’s like a dehydrator.

Can you bread these zucchini chips?

There was a recipe floating around the internet that stole my image and created an entirely different recipe with it.

Basically false advertising.

If you add any sort of breading to these, they will not be as crispy as these photos show.

Mine burned to a crisp.

When I say put it in the oven, I don’t mean to walk away from it entirely.

You’ll need to check up on it every now and then.

Every oven is different. Every oven has a different hot spot/zone.

You need to watch it to make sure.

If it looks like it’s burning or turning brown too quickly, you can tent a piece of foil on top.

Why are my zucchini chips soggy and not crispy?

There are actually a multitude of reason why your zucchini chips may be soggy and not crispy. Here are some common reasons:

• Thinly sliced zucchini rounds is a must. If you watch the video below, you will see I used a mandolin slicer.
    • You must use paper towels to press out excess liquid. This is key.
    • You must lightly oil the zucchini chips. A little goes a long way!
    • You must bake the zucchini chips at 225 degrees Fahrenheit until you see that most liquid/oil has cooked off. The reason why some people have said it sticks to parchment paper and/or the chips are soggy is because you didn’t cook them long enough. Once the oil has cooked off completely, the chips will crisp up and not be soggy, therefore it won’t stick onto the parchment paper.
    • It might stick to your parchment paper because you are trying to remove it from the oven too quickly and not giving it enough time to actually crisp up.
    • You also should let it cool on the parchment paper for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove it from the parchment paper.
    • Patience.

If you love zucchini chips, you may like these recipes with zucchini:

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! #zucchinichips #zucchini #zucchinirecipes

4.8 from 25 votes

Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

Thin, crispy, and irresistible! These zucchini chips are a great way to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cook Time: 2 hrs
    Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
    Course: Snack
    Cuisine: American
    Servings (adjustable, but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings): 50 chips
    Calories: 54kcal
    Author: Julie Chiou
    5 Hassle-Free Ways to Simplify MealtimeSign up here for all the secrets!

Ingredients

• 1 large zucchini
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • Kosher salt

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17" baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.
    • Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used 2.
    • After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it'll cook a bit faster.
    • Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.
    • In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
    • Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it's better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it'll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
    • Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren't soggy and are crisp.
    • Let cool before removing and serving.
    • Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.

Notes

**Updated March 5, 2017**
    Nutrition Facts
    Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
    Amount Per Serving (10 chips)
    Calories 54 Calories from Fat 45
    % Daily Value*
    Fat 5g8%
    Carbohydrates 1g0%
    Sugar 1g1%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    *Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.

There is an affiliate link within this post.

• 654 Comments
    Julie Wampler of Table for Two
    Meet The Author: Julie Chiou
    Dinner for Two Cookbook
    Order My Cookbook!

Dinner for Two

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating

Comments

• Daniela @ food recipes HQ says:

I love this recipe!

• Chandra says:

Just finished making (and devouring) these! Awesome! Thank you so much.

• Claisoa says:

Are degrees in Celsius or Fahrenheit?!!

Fahrenheit.

• Margaret says:

These are already a huge hit with my family, even though I have not yet perfected the recipe. Any tips for keeping them from over-browning? I have tried lowering the oven temp and still cannot bake them for even an hour without burning. Thanks for any insight you can provide and for the delectable idea!

• Julie says:

Try putting tin foil loosely over the baking sheet when they start browning too much.

• Melissa H. says:

A good friend of mine told me how to get a lot of the water out of zucchinis before you fry or bake them so they will be crispier. After you slice all your zucchini sprinkle both sides of the slices with regular table salt! Let the salt sit on the slices for 30 minutes (1 hour if you have the time) and then pat dry with a paper towel. You’ll be surprised how much water you actually get out of the zucchini!

• Genevieve says:

I’m making these right now! Thanks for sharing!

• viki says:

just to clarify because I’m really new to cooking
    do I paint olive oil on one side or both sides =) ?

Both.

• Andrea says:

I tried making these this afternoon, but even though some of them started getting very brown (quite dark, looked almost burnt) after 45 minutes they were still kind of floppy. Do you have any suggestions?

• Julie says:

A number of factors could’ve attributed to this. The only things I can think of were: how thin were your slices? Did you pat them dry enough? If they weren’t pat dry enough, it would take longer for them to crisp up since there’d be so much water content left in the zucchini. I’d suggest either turning your oven temp. down to 200 next time or put aluminum foil over the pan if they start to get brown really quickly.

• Rysa says:

Hi! This looks great! Just wanted to clarify.. 225 degrees farenheit or celcius? I’m sure you meant farenheit but I want to confirm before trying this out :)

• Rysa says:

Just read above reply to CLAISOA… You’ve clarified its Farenheit :D Thank you!

• Julie says:

Thanks for reading the other comments to get your answer, Rysa! Enjoy!!

• Crissie says:

I tried making these today. They turned out ok…..not nearly as nice looking as yours. But I’ll keep trying. My question for you is have you done a serving size/calorie calculation on these? Even a ballpark figure would be good.

• Julie says:

Hi Crissie! Sorry, I haven’t done one of those calculations. I’d say servings size like 5 and 70 calories? I really don’t know. That is a total guess.

• Sean says:

One entire large zucchini has around 50 calories. Unless you are drowning them in oil there’s no way 5 chips has 70.

Lol, like I said, I really had no idea, haha

• Sue Costanzo says:

Great Zucchini recipe! I think it will work well with Weight Watchers

• Lynette says:

Can’t wait to try these! Thanks for the recipe. By the way…love, love, love your website. Beautiful!!!

• Karen says:

Not sure where you work within DC but I spent 2 years working at the Department of Health and Human Services (200 Independence Ave, SW … right across the street from the botanical gardens) and from spring until fall there is a farmers market from 11-2 every Wednesday. If that isn’t too far you could stop by on your lunch break… there are also vendors selling sandwiches, wraps, etc for lunch. I loved buying fresh, local, veggies there!

• Laura says:

Thank you! I made these Monday night, and there was no need for the air tight container. They didn’t last very long in this house. I did make the mistake of setting my blade to cut too thinly, but they were still amazing. I’ll know better for my next batch, which will probably be happening very soon. Delish!

• Kristin says:

I just discovered your site when a friend emailed out the Holy Wow Chicken recipe. Made these chips this afternoon and agree that there is no need to note they store for 3 days! Mine only took an hour and 20 minutes to cook – I am sure it differs based on how thinly they are sliced and also my zucchini was small. Can’t wait to keep trying things! You have a new fan.

• Susy says:

This recipe works really well with parsnips and sweet potatoes too – yum!

• Terra says:

If I ever have any zucchini left over, because we love them, I’ll have to try these. Makes me want to plant an extra plant in the garden this yr. Thanks!!

• Kelly @ The Moon and Me says:

Oh man…these sound and look soooo good.
    I am going to try these as soon as I get some zucchini.
    Thanks for this awesome recipe!
    Kelly

• Rebecca says:

I think I will try this with my dehydrator! Thanks for the inspiration:)

• karen says:

Made these a couple of weeks ago. They were an excellent ‘healthy’ chip which everyone loved. The only thing that was surprising was how small they ended up. Used ordinary sized zucchinis, but after cooking they were mostly about the size of a quarter. Definitely will make again…but will look for larger rounds of zucchinis. I wonder if I cut them too thin…thus making them shrink more? Any thoughts?

• Julie says:

Mine ended up being larger than quarters – you probably do need larger zucchinis. They will shrink though no matter what. You’re basically dehydrating them to make them into chips, therefore sucking out all their water content, so that’s why they become crispy and chip-like. You want them thin – otherwise you’ll end up with mushy zucchini chips or you’ll spend 6+ hours trying to get them to get crispy :) thin cut is good!

• Ray says:

question why are my chip still soggy after 2 hours of baking?

• Julie says:

Hi Ray, there are many contributing factors as to why your chips may still be soggy – were they thinly sliced? How thin were they? Did you soak enough water out of them prior to baking? My best suggestion to you is, if it’s still soggy after 2 hours, keep baking them. Everyone’s results will be different because not everyone will slice it as thin as how I did, therefore, this recipe is just a guideline.

• Jill says:

Thanks for this great recipe – I can’t wait to try it! One question, do you brush olive oil on both sides, or just one side? Thanks again!

• Julie says:

I just brushed it on one side.

• Christine says:

Thanks for posting this! I am wondering what service you use for the delivery. I just moved to the DC area and am looking for something like that. Any info would be so great! Thanks!

• Monica McGuiness says:

This is a beautiful photo. I am always looking for zucchini recipes to use up the stocks from my garden. I love this simple one. Thanks.

• Katy says:

They are in the oven now! I hope they come out good – I don’t have a mandolin so I had to just do my best, and I use coconut oil, not olive oil. We will see how they turn out!!

Love all your photos – I don’t normally try a recipe immediately, but this was so inspiring!

• lynda - healthy crafty mommys says:

I am so excited I found your blog on twitter. These ideas are fantastic! I love finding ways to eat healthier and not doing without :)

• Julie says:

Yay! So glad you found me :)

• Cindy says:

I just brushed oil on one side; I hope they turn out okay. I’ll watch them and see if I need to turn them over. I also wanted to let you know I came across the picture of your zucchini chips with a different recipe. It has ground almonds and garlic on the zucchini. Is it a version of yours?

• Julie says:

Yeah, that recipe is definitely not mine. She just stole the picture and using it as her own. I can’t do anything about it though, unfortunately :( I hate people who steal my hardwork :( good luck with your zucchini chips!

• Kelly - Two Kids Cooking & More says:

I can’t wait to try these. I usually just use fresh cucumbers as ‘chip’ substitutes when I’m craving guacamole, but these would be great!

• John says:

I made this recipe exactly as is, and it wasn’t worth the time and effort they didn’t turn out. I posted this recipe on facebook and anyone who tried it said the results were nasty. Don’t waste your time.

• Julie says:

Hi John, sorry you found this recipe nasty. Not sure how it could be nasty if it’s just olive oil and salt on thin rounds of zucchini, however, there is a recipe going around on Facebook that someone stole my image for and it uses Parmesan and almonds so if that’s the one you used, I’m sorry, that is not my recipe.

• John says:

Yes ! the recipe going around facebook also has your photo & blog web address you should file a complaint.

• Julie says:

Thanks, John! Unfortunately, since it’s been shared so much, there’s no way I can put a stop to it :( it’s such a shame. It’s defamation in the worst way possible and copyright infringement :(

• Tinkers says:

Yuppers….stolen photos!! Complete with a different recipe that I called BS on. Their recipe is BREADED! You should claim it’s your intellectual property and force them to take it down.

• Julie says:

Thank you SO much for letting me know and looking out for me. I just reported them for copyright infringement :) hopefully it’ll get taken down soon! Thanks again!

• Debbie Chase says:

I want to apologize to you for passing along your photo with the recipe that called for parmesan & almonds from Facebook. My daughter gave me your site & I should have noticed that the picture didn’t match the picture. I also failed to notice your watermark. I am sorry and I am going to post your recipe on my page so that people will know the right way to do it.

• Julie says:

Hi Debbie! Your daughter actually emailed me and told me the situation. No problem at all! I’m glad you’re able to find the correct recipe! Have a wonderful day :)

• catherine says:

Darn it all – the first time I actually try a recipe posted on Facebook – now find out it wasn’t legit. Apologizing for not knowing it was fake. I shared and copied the Facebook posting on 08/05/13. Went back to look for it now 08/07/13 – not on my timeline. Was so hungry making it with the Parmesan cheese, etc. forgot to spray the wire rack – looked wonderful, but stuck to the rack – crumbs weren’t too bad. Of course I didn’t measure – didn’t have milk so used scrambled egg instead of milk and a lot of Parmesan cheese and garlic parsley powder. Will try your recipe here next. Thank you =)

• Nicole says:

If I don’t have a mandolin, how many cm or mm thick do you think I should cut the zucchini?

• Julie says:

Hi Nicole! I’d say about 2-3mm thick would be good!

• Kelsey says:

Really sorry to hear your picture was hijacked! I saw these chips + the phony recipe on FB. I lost the recipe though, so i googled to fin the pic and then found this webpage for them. This recipe makes SO much more sense and sounds LOT better. I was wondering where the heck the almond flour and Parmesan of the bogus recipe came in and made the chips look like they do. LOL.

• Julie says:

Haha, I thought the same when I read the recipe. I was like wait, what?! :) Glad you found the correct one!!

• mandy says:

these were amazing! they are the perfect way to use overgrown zucchini because they shrink so much in the baking process. I sprinkled mine with sea salt, ground roasted jalapenos, and oregano. delicious, and an excellently sneaky way to get my teenagers to eat their veggies.

• Julie says:

It’s definitely a great & easy way to use up zucchini! I love it. Glad you enjoyed :)

• Deek says:

Is it 225 degrees Celsius or farenheit?

Fahrenheit.

• Ava Kinsey says:

Those are really pretty, and honestly, I don’t think they would last three days at my house. :)

• Julie says:

Thanks Ava :) they didn’t last very long here!

• Lori Morrow says:

Julie, I sent you an email regarding where else you can find these posted.

• Mary Lee says:

Your recipe is been use by Philip Malaysia.Is it your link. Thanks

• Debbie says:

Well THAT certainly explains the problem I was having!!!! I too have “Pinned” that lovely (yummy looking) picture on one of my boards. Sadly it was NOT your recipe. The link was just to the picture, and then the directions were included in the post. I tried making these last night, and was VERY SAD when they did not turn out. I am on a carb-free diet, so I left out the ground almonds. Baking them at 425 for 30 minutes not only burned them, but the center was not cooked at all. I said to my friend today that it seemed like it would work better to bake them in a low oven for a longer period of time. Soooooo, I did a “Google” search and came upon your site. Am I glad I did. There were your beautiful pictures, with a completely different recipe, and a disclaimer about what had happened. I will immediately go to my board and delete the pin that is incorrect. I will then “repin” YOUR recipe along with a notice as to what happened – encouraging others to come and get the REAL recipe. I know it won’t stop what is already pinned out there, but maybe more people will see my pin and fix their post as well!!! Thanks for the recipe… I’m gonna try it again tonight!!

OH… one more thing… do you ever put fresh grated parm cheese on them? If so, do you put it on at the beginning, or after they have baked for a while?

• Julie says:

425 degrees for 30 minutes is what the fake recipe calls for?! That’s absurd!! That’d most definitely burn everything! I’m sorry you had to find out the hard way but I’m glad you found me!! :)

If I were to push fresh grated parm on them, I’d do it after they’ve been baked…if you put it on too soon, it may burn and cause it to harden. Do it after they’ve baked when they’re still warm! Good luck and enjoy!

• Debbie says:

Yep! That’s what it called for. I ended up with a burned mess!!! I actually had 2 different pins with this recipe. One had the recipe below as I said, but the other was http://www.Sharefoodpics.com/?p=3800 I deleted my pins, and repinned with your website. Here is what I posted:

PLEASE NOTE: If you see this picture (or one similar) being posted that does NOT have a link to the “Table for Two” website, it is NOT the correct recipe. The picture was taken from her website and posted with a completely different recip (which does NOT work… I tried it). THIS is the correct picture, and the RIGHT website to go with the recipe. If you have pinned one on your board perhaps you could delete it and replace it with this correct version.

• Cara says:

This FB site, plus they have other communites using copywritten stuff and the worst of it is…They are selling an Ebook, and claiming these pics and recipes as their own!

High Protein Foods
    Metabolic Cooking with Karine Losier

pretty much anything Posted by Karine or Dave Ruel has been stolen, And they are making money with it =/

• Julie says:

Thanks for letting me know, Cara! I’ll go check it out. Can’t believe they’re making money off others’ work. So ridiculous.

• Lisa Loperfido says:

These are delicious! I added SRIRACHA as a dip and they were BOMB!

• Julie says:

So glad you enjoyed this and added a kick to it!!

• Brieanna Cassivi says:

This is where I saw it, and I’m so glad I looked around to find the real one because I LOVE the simple veggie chips! Thanks so much for the recipe, we are trying it tonight. Below is the link to the one I saw on facebook.

• Julie says:

Thank you Brieanna! I just reported it to Facebook! I hope you enjoy the zucchini chips this evening and thank you again for looking out for me :)

• Melanie Shellito says:

I also had the ‘fake’ recipe show up in my FB newsfeed, coming from https://www.facebook.com/homesteading?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

Happily, someone in the comments had noted this photo was from your blog, so I came over here to check it out. SO glad I did! I would have made the disastrous fake ones and been totally bummed. Good luck with tracking down all the copyright infringers!!

• Julie says:

I’ve had so many people reporting to me about this site tonight. I’ve reported the photo and hopefully Facebook will take it down soon. Thanks for looking out for me and I hope you try the recipe :)

• Helen says:

I was concerned when I saw how long you have to have the oven on for. What about salting the Zucchini for an hour or so before brushing with olive oil – i think the salt would draw out lots of moisture prior to cooking? ?

• Julie says:

Hi Helen, well, you’re essentially using the oven as a dehydrator so that’s why it’s in there for so long. At the low temperature it’s at, it really doesn’t hurt it. If you salt it prior to brushing it with olive oil, it won’t draw out that much moisture to cut down the time in the oven. With the oven temperature that low, you definitely do need to keep it in there for the stated time. Any higher, you risk burning it by rushing the process. Good luck and I hope you try this!

• Virgil McConnell says:

I can’t wait to try these.

Enjoy!

• GiGi says:

I keep trying to add your recipe but it keeps bringing up the fake recipe for Jenny @ Bake. Looks yummy and so simple. I pinned it ok but Cozi won’t add your recipe to the recipe box..
    Didn’t know if the Jenny @ Bake was who was posting the other recipe.

• Julie says:

Hi GiGi, I don’t know why you can’t save this recipe. Why does it save under Jenny @ Bake? That’s really weird.

• GiGi says:

Loved these. I actually have an OXO too. Sliced them on 1/8″ setting and put on silpat lined pan barely brushed olive oil on them. Just enough to make them shiny. then popped them into 225 degrees Fahrenheit oven. After 30 min I turned the pan. 30 min later they were done. So nice to find something so simple and yes I did see your stuff on Pinterest. I’m so glad I didn’t see the fake recipe. Have no idea what the actual temp inside the oven was but one hour was plenty of time in my Kenmore oven. Yay! don’t know that I could wait 2+ hours.

• Julie says:

I’m SO happy this turned out well for you, Gigi! The fake recipe had all sorts of almond four and Parmesan coating on it. And it said to put it in a 425 degree oven – so many people burned it. So silly – I actually TEST my recipes before posting so that fake recipe was just out there to fool people! I’m glad you found the right recipe and that yours turned out great!

• Tayler says:

I just featured these as something new to try on my blog! they look so good!!

…..