Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

• These zucchini chips are so light and crisp! The perfect snack!

These easy oven-baked zucchini chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! They’re oven-baked to crisp perfection!

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! Did I mention they were healthy, too?
    Zucchini chips; a healthier alternative to potato chips!

I came up with the recipe for zucchini chips because I always bought the bags of veggie straws at Costco.

Those things are ADDICTING and while they claim they’re “healthier” than chips, they can’t be that healthy if you eat an entire bag in one sitting, haha!

Zucchini season is also one of my favorite produce seasons.

There is so much you can do with zucchini.

You can spiralize zucchini and make a stir fry with them or you can shred them up and they make for the most moist turkey meatballs, ever!

You can of course make these zucchini chips, too. It’s definitely a fun and unique take on what to make with all your zucchini!

What you need to make this zucchini chips recipe and how to make zucchini chips!

I LOVE zucchini and how abundant it is in the summer, but it’s also a vegetable you can find year-round.

So for this recipe, you basically just need zucchini and oil and seasonings. That’s it!

Haha, I know that was so obvious, wasn’t it?

And we all know when it’s zucchini season, there are always questions on what to do with all the zucchini!

Zucchini chips would be my answer. They’re light, crisp, and incredibly easy to make!

They’re also paleo-friendly!

I remember when I was on my paleo challenge, I would make these because they were a paleo-friendly way to eat chips without all the carbs, haha

Of course, I would highly suggest a mandolin to make these super thin slices but if you have the knife skills for it, then more power to you!

Can you make zucchini chips in a dehydrator?

This is probably the number one question that I get! Unfortunately, I don’t have experience using a dehydrator because I don’t have one myself but I know that there have been people who have done it before with success.

However, I’d just like to point out that this zucchini chips recipe that is made in the oven is basically like using your oven as a dehydrator.

Because of how low the temperature is and how long you bake it for, you’re basically drying out the zucchini so it’s like a dehydrator.

Can you bread these zucchini chips?

There was a recipe floating around the internet that stole my image and created an entirely different recipe with it.

Basically false advertising.

If you add any sort of breading to these, they will not be as crispy as these photos show.

Mine burned to a crisp.

When I say put it in the oven, I don’t mean to walk away from it entirely.

You’ll need to check up on it every now and then.

Every oven is different. Every oven has a different hot spot/zone.

You need to watch it to make sure.

If it looks like it’s burning or turning brown too quickly, you can tent a piece of foil on top.

Why are my zucchini chips soggy and not crispy?

There are actually a multitude of reason why your zucchini chips may be soggy and not crispy. Here are some common reasons:

• Thinly sliced zucchini rounds is a must. If you watch the video below, you will see I used a mandolin slicer.
    • You must use paper towels to press out excess liquid. This is key.
    • You must lightly oil the zucchini chips. A little goes a long way!
    • You must bake the zucchini chips at 225 degrees Fahrenheit until you see that most liquid/oil has cooked off. The reason why some people have said it sticks to parchment paper and/or the chips are soggy is because you didn’t cook them long enough. Once the oil has cooked off completely, the chips will crisp up and not be soggy, therefore it won’t stick onto the parchment paper.
    • It might stick to your parchment paper because you are trying to remove it from the oven too quickly and not giving it enough time to actually crisp up.
    • You also should let it cool on the parchment paper for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove it from the parchment paper.
    • Patience.

If you love zucchini chips, you may like these recipes with zucchini:

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! #zucchinichips #zucchini #zucchinirecipes

5 from 3 votes

Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

Thin, crispy, and irresistible! These zucchini chips are a great way to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cook Time: 2 hrs
    Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
    Course: Snack
    Cuisine: American
    Servings (adjustable, but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings): 50 chips
    Calories: 54kcal
    NEVER MISS A RECIPE!Sign up for email updates!

Ingredients

• 1 large zucchini
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • Kosher salt

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17" baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.
    • Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used 2.
    • After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it'll cook a bit faster.
    • Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.
    • In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
    • Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it's better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it'll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
    • Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren't soggy and are crisp.
    • Let cool before removing and serving.
    • Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.

Notes

**Updated March 5, 2017**
    Nutrition Facts
    Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
    Amount Per Serving (10 chips)
    Calories 54 Calories from Fat 45
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 5g 8%
    Total Carbohydrates 1g 0%
    Sugars 1g
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    *Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.

There is an affiliate link within this post.

• 588 Comments
    Julie Wampler of Table for Two
    Meet The Author: Julie Wampler
    Dinner for Two Cookbook
    Order My Cookbook!

Dinner for Two

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Janet says:

Julie–Any chance of getting the measurement of the thickness of your #2 mandolin slices? My mandolin gives infinite thicknesses (you adjust the thickness with a screw-type thing and stop it wherever you want). I have done this twice now, and they haven’t come out good….:-(…. I think I am making the slices too thin. I tried to make them like they look in your picture, but since they shrink up so much, I guess you need to start with a larger thickness than what we see in the photo i.e., in the finished product. I’m pretty sure I must be making them too thin. Thanks!

• Julie says:

It was 1/8 of an inch!

• Janet Berg says:

Thanks! I’ll try again at 1/8″….:-)….

• Regina says:

Thank you,these worked a treat?

• Sally says:

I just sliced thin and spritzed them with olive oil. I made in oven which didn’t seem to cook evenly, some burnt, others stuck to pan, etc. Then I put them in single layer in microwave, cooked to beginning to brown, then sprinkled with kosher salt or onion salt or garlic salt and let them cool to crisp. Delicious and addicting!

• Dean says:

How long did you microwave them for? Thanks. :)

• June says:

Don’t bother.. started a diet and was looking for a low cal snack..the coking procedure took longer and it didn’t yield much..too much work.

• Nitya says:

Use an air fryer

• nikki says:

“use an air fryer.”
        as though everyone has an air fryer lying around…that is so NOT helpful.

• ElegantWaste says:

:) some people are cranky.

• Heidi says:

What temp and how long in the air fruet

• Bethany Poteet says:

Julie,
    I am so glad i found this recipe! It’s by far the best zucchini chip recipe I have come across! We loved it so much we thought we would try your recipe and blog about it ourselves! I added chili powder and cumin on half of my batch to make some “spicy” chips since I crave them so much. Chips are my one big weakness in terms of healthy eating, so I really enjoyed the recipe. Thanks so much! If you want to check out where we blogged about it, you can check it out here: https://oakandearth.wordpress.com/2016/01/25/15-healthy-snack-food-alternatives/ We totally understand if you don’t have time to read it, just know that we thoroughly enjoyed it! We look forward to reading more! :)

• Brad says:

I have not tried these yet but when I do I will be tempted to lightly salt the chips, put them into colander, cover them up and let them weep for an hour or two to draw out most of the water. The salt can be rinsed off and the chips blotted dry before cooking. Taking the extra step should reduce the cooking time considerably

• Queralt Comellas says:

These chips look pretty awesome… I was just wondering if ypu have any specific recommendations for bajing them oin a convection oven :D,

Thanks!
    Q!

• Julie says:

I would reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees if you’re baking them in a convection oven.

• Mandy says:

Can the zucchini chips be pre cooked and then reheated

• Julie says:

Hi Mandy, I don’t recommend reheating in the microwave that as it will probably end up being soggy but if you meant reheating in the oven then yes, it could possibly work on low heat. You’ll just have to watch it to make sure it doesn’t burn!

• Beth says:

These are terrific! I just received a mandoline and love it. I chose to lightly spray them with canola oil and season with a house mix of 1 part salt, 1/2 part pepper, 1/2 part granulated garlic. I also baked them at 225 in my convection oven for 1.25 hours. They shrunk by at least 50%, but they are golden brown, crunchy and delicious! My husband and I both agreed they will be the perfect partner with a cocktail! So glad it’s after 5 pm here!! CHEERS!

• BCP says:

I made these chips according to the recipe. They came out crunchy, no sogginess. Use #2 on the mandolin, and 2 hours in the oven. More if needed.

• Tracey says:

Hello! I have a huge bag of sliced frozen zucchini that I was hoping to use for this recipe. How do you suggest I deal with the extra moisture? Let them thaw and drain all day?

• Julie says:

Hi Tracey! Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s going to work. The frozen zucchini is likely too thick (unless you have really thin zucchini slices?) to make into chips. I’m sorry! :(

• Patti G says:

My gas oven only goes to 325. Any suggestions for cooking time?T

• Julie says:

Hi, the recipe calls for the oven temperature to be 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Do you mean that the lowest temp your oven goes to is 325? If that’s the case, then I don’t think this recipe will work for you. 225 is basically making your oven like a dehydrator, slowly slowly slowly drying out the zucchini at a low temp for a long period of time. 325 is simply too high and it won’t dry out the zucchini. It’ll just burn it :(

• kim says:

will a food dehyrdrater work for these

• Julie says:

I haven’t tried them myself in a dehydrator but I imagine they would work.

• Diane says:

I sprayed them with canola spray and after 30 minutes in 225 they all burned. I ate them anyway but don’t know why it didn’t work.

• Sukriti @ Recipe Yard says:

What a great idea!
    Tried these in deep fried version and they turned out great! :)

• Diana says:

It’s a shame that these kind of things go on. I’ve seen it on other websites.
    I enjoy what you share.

• Sophie says:

I am so glad I googled this instead of looking for it on FB. I had seen the photo there and wanted to make them.

Your recipe is exactly what I need because I’m doing Weight Watchers and those additional ingredients the thieves added would change it from being a very low point snack.

• DomK says:

Ha ha, I put my oven on 225C. So much shorter cooking time. Some were a bit too brown in the middle but most of them came out really well. I will try the lower oven next time. Not sure how to get 50 chips out of 1 zucchini they must be smaller in Aus. Really happy to have found this recipe as its yum and a different way to serve zucchini

• Brenda says:

I tried these tonight but most of them burnt. I searched and found this recipe. I had the oven temp too high (325 for 20min). I will try this again at the right temp.

• Karl L says:

Hi, do you coat both side of the zucchini with oil?

• Julie says:

Yes, very very lightly. You don’t want to oversaturate it with oil or it won’t crisp up :)

• Pamela Roth says:

I made these last weekend, and they turned out great! This time I’m going to experiment with the seasoning a bit. Thank you for sharing a great, easy, yummy recipe!

• Jacqueline says:

Pretty sure the awkward results for some is an issue of oven calibration, use a secondary thermometer on interior of oven to ensure calibration/ hot spot issues aren’t the culprit

• april says:

These chips are delicious.
    I used my food processor and used 2 zucchinis. I wish I made more.
    They came out very thin and crisp.
    I made 4 trays and could not stop eating them.
    My only addition is to use Pink Himalayan salt.
    Thank you for this wonderful recipe.

• Casa G says:

Thanks for this.. I tried it with a little sprinkle of kosher salt over the oiled pieces, and you are right– they can get very salty. I second your warning about salt. Mine shrank about 50%, to pieces about the size of a quarter, but are very crispy after 2 hrs and tasty. I will make this again but leave the salt off.

• janet says:

I love the idea of the zucchini chips but mine are not crispy. I did everything the same except no parchment paper. Any suggestions?

• Julie says:

You likely need to slice them thinner.

• Hope @ StriveForBalance.Life says:

We have zucchini growing in the garden. Guess what I’ll be doing with them?? Can’t wait. I have a problem with potato chips….now I can indulge on something healthier. Thanks.

• Wanda woods says:

Loved ’em. Sprinkled half with chipotle rub. Think they were a little too thin. Trying thicker slices tonight. Is there a way to preserve them for more than 3 days?

• Julie says:

Unfortunately, no. I always have to eat them day of otherwise they get soft and soggy.

• alex vasquez says:

As a paleo-centric eater this recipe is so simple and amazing. Why didn’t I think about this first?

• Penny says:

Can you store them in the freezer for a longer time? Zucchini gets mushy frozen when fresh, but how about after drying like this?

• Julie says:

I’ve never tried it that way! I feel like it wouldn’t work too well though.

• Cris says:

Really good stuff! Thank you keep em coming!

• carmen says:

Excelente idea,rico y nutritivo

• Nancy says:

These look so good! Do you flip them over half way through baking time?

• Julie says:

I don’t recall flipping mine

• Patricia McKenzie says:

Thank you for your receipt. I can’t wait to try it. I have tried to do this before and never was able to make it work. Yours look so good. I am trying to lose weight and I know this will be helpful

• Cheryl Maxwell-Lefcowitz says:

Zucchini Chip Recipes please.

• Julie says:

Scroll up or down on the page. The recipe is right under the photos.

• Jenny says:

Have you tried these with squash? I have a new straight neck variety that I tried this year, and they are about 5 inches in diameter and almost as long as my arm! Too big to just eat one. I may do it and let you know.
    If these with zucchini turn out well for me, I am thinking of using dry dip packets like ranch, dill, taco and BBQ, etc for seasoning. I always stock up on the artisan ones at our Fair here in WA, and then forget to use them. What do you think? thanks?

• Julie says:

Isn’t zucchini a squash? Or do you mean like yellow squash or acorn squash? I haven’t tried any other squash but zucchini. The seasoning packets would be delicious! I would definitely give that a go!

• susie says:

I ate the whole batch! They were that good.

• Sharon Gold says:

Amazing recipes

• tennis2221 says:

serves 50??????

• Julie says:

No, it yields 50 so meaning there’s approx. 50 chips, haha :)

• Judy B says:

Anyone following you would know ingredients listed in the faux recipe is absolutely NOT your style. You are the best!

Aw thanks!

• Dana says:

If I wanted to make these in a dehydrator, what would be my dehydrating time?
    Thanks :)

• Julie says:

I do not have experience using a dehydrator so unfortunately, I can’t give an estimate. So sorry!

• Sarwat says:

Amazing recipe

• DIANE says:

I can’t wait to try these and so healthy also.Thank you for sharing ;)!
    Diane from Hudson NH

• Anna Oneail says:

I liked it a lot my sibling and I loved it so did my parents.

• Jill says:

Looking forward for your posts for two !

• Jessica M. says:

I’m in the process of making these, and so far I love them! I like the flavor a lot. I’m wondering tho, is there any one “sign” for you that means they’re done?
    And are they kind of a crispy-chewy or are they crunchy like potato chips?
    Thanks!!

• Julie says:

They’re crunchy like potato chips! :)

• Jessica M. says:

Then I did something wrong. Mine had a little crisp but they were more like stale potato chips… Did I just not leave them long enough? Or perhaps brushed on too much or not enough oil? Any advice is appreciated. I really did like the flavor. Thanks!

• Julie says:

If it was like stale potato chips, you probably brushed on too much olive oil but then didn’t bake them long enough for it to crisp up so the olive oil just basically soaked the zucchini, therefore making it kind of stale and not crunchy.

• Jessica M. says:

Thanks so much! I will try again! ?

• Janie says:

Do you have the nutritional breakdown for these zucchini chips? I can’t wait to try them. Thank you!

• InayWibowo says:

I love it!

• Molly says:

I’m finding this recipe at the perfect time! I’m following AIP and am traveling this weekend. I need portable snack ideas and these look so yummy. Thanks!

• Grace says:

I tried to cook these and I followed the recipe to a T. The only thing is, probably the oven was a little too hot. I had it a little past 200, put it on exactly at 2 hours and I used the kosher salt, the parchment paper and I didn’t use too much oil. I don’t know why they turned out burnt?

• Julie says:

Hi, the 2 hour cook time is an approximate and you should always keep checking the oven to see signs of overcooking or doneness. Since you had it at a little past 200 degrees, the 2 hour cook time should have been less.

• Philip says:

Fantastic recipe. I turned the pieces over half way through baking. I cannot stop eating them. Thank you for posting the recipe.

• Gloria Coulter says:

Gr….eat!!!

• Sign-up for Email Updates and Receive a Free E-Cookbook!