Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

• These zucchini chips are so light and crisp! The perfect snack!

These easy oven-baked zucchini chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! They’re oven-baked to crisp perfection!

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! Did I mention they were healthy, too?
    Zucchini chips; a healthier alternative to potato chips!

I came up with the recipe for zucchini chips because I always bought the bags of veggie straws at Costco.

Those things are ADDICTING and while they claim they’re “healthier” than chips, they can’t be that healthy if you eat an entire bag in one sitting, haha!

Zucchini season is also one of my favorite produce seasons.

There is so much you can do with zucchini.

You can spiralize zucchini and make a stir fry with them or you can shred them up and they make for the most moist turkey meatballs, ever!

You can of course make these zucchini chips, too. It’s definitely a fun and unique take on what to make with all your zucchini!

What you need to make this zucchini chips recipe and how to make zucchini chips!

I LOVE zucchini and how abundant it is in the summer, but it’s also a vegetable you can find year-round.

So for this recipe, you basically just need zucchini and oil and seasonings. That’s it!

Haha, I know that was so obvious, wasn’t it?

And we all know when it’s zucchini season, there are always questions on what to do with all the zucchini!

Zucchini chips would be my answer. They’re light, crisp, and incredibly easy to make!

They’re also paleo-friendly!

I remember when I was on my paleo challenge, I would make these because they were a paleo-friendly way to eat chips without all the carbs, haha

Of course, I would highly suggest a mandolin to make these super thin slices but if you have the knife skills for it, then more power to you!

Can you make zucchini chips in a dehydrator?

This is probably the number one question that I get! Unfortunately, I don’t have experience using a dehydrator because I don’t have one myself but I know that there have been people who have done it before with success.

However, I’d just like to point out that this zucchini chips recipe that is made in the oven is basically like using your oven as a dehydrator.

Because of how low the temperature is and how long you bake it for, you’re basically drying out the zucchini so it’s like a dehydrator.

Can you bread these zucchini chips?

There was a recipe floating around the internet that stole my image and created an entirely different recipe with it.

Basically false advertising.

If you add any sort of breading to these, they will not be as crispy as these photos show.

Mine burned to a crisp.

When I say put it in the oven, I don’t mean to walk away from it entirely.

You’ll need to check up on it every now and then.

Every oven is different. Every oven has a different hot spot/zone.

You need to watch it to make sure.

If it looks like it’s burning or turning brown too quickly, you can tent a piece of foil on top.

Why are my zucchini chips soggy and not crispy?

There are actually a multitude of reason why your zucchini chips may be soggy and not crispy. Here are some common reasons:

• Thinly sliced zucchini rounds is a must. If you watch the video below, you will see I used a mandolin slicer.
    • You must use paper towels to press out excess liquid. This is key.
    • You must lightly oil the zucchini chips. A little goes a long way!
    • You must bake the zucchini chips at 225 degrees Fahrenheit until you see that most liquid/oil has cooked off. The reason why some people have said it sticks to parchment paper and/or the chips are soggy is because you didn’t cook them long enough. Once the oil has cooked off completely, the chips will crisp up and not be soggy, therefore it won’t stick onto the parchment paper.
    • It might stick to your parchment paper because you are trying to remove it from the oven too quickly and not giving it enough time to actually crisp up.
    • You also should let it cool on the parchment paper for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove it from the parchment paper.
    • Patience.

If you love zucchini chips, you may like these recipes with zucchini:

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! #zucchinichips #zucchini #zucchinirecipes

5 from 6 votes

Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

Thin, crispy, and irresistible! These zucchini chips are a great way to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cook Time: 2 hrs
    Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
    Course: Snack
    Cuisine: American
    Servings (adjustable, but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings): 50 chips
    Calories: 54kcal
    5 Hassle-Free Ways to Simplify MealtimeSign up here for all the secrets!

Ingredients

• 1 large zucchini
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • Kosher salt

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17" baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.
    • Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used 2.
    • After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it'll cook a bit faster.
    • Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.
    • In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
    • Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it's better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it'll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
    • Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren't soggy and are crisp.
    • Let cool before removing and serving.
    • Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.

Notes

**Updated March 5, 2017**
    Nutrition Facts
    Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
    Amount Per Serving (10 chips)
    Calories 54 Calories from Fat 45
    % Daily Value*
    Fat 5g8%
    Carbohydrates 1g0%
    Sugar 1g1%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    *Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.

There is an affiliate link within this post.

• 599 Comments
    Julie Wampler of Table for Two
    Meet The Author: Julie Wampler
    Dinner for Two Cookbook
    Order My Cookbook!

Dinner for Two

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Kelley Shope says:

These are baking in my oven now. I think I sliced them between 1/8-1/16″ but I forgot to pat them dry with paper towels. I brushed on a combination of Meyers lemon olive oil, a little garlic salt and a little bit of Italian seasoning. They smell good, but don’t seem to be drying up very well. Hmmm. They still have about 45 minutes to go though. I’ll post again, if it comes out good!

• Nancy Umstead says:

All Better! I could not get into the one on making the duster, it brought up that message of a malicious site. So I just deleted the entire email. When I saw your latest in my inbox, I opened it and so far, all is fine. Thought I would comment from here so you would know all is ok.
    Thanks – I look forward to more!
    Nancy

• Julie says:

Hi, thanks for the note, Nancy! What duster are you talking about? I need to investigate :)

• tanvel says:

I sprinkle crushed oregano on them too.

• Debbie says:

Yes! California is blessed with many Farmers Markets and CSA. I agree we should not take them for granted but support them and the hands that labor, so we get farm to table freshness.

• Tammy says:

Hi, I am making the Zuchini chips right now. Do you think broiling them would still come out crispy and take less cooking time?

• Julie says:

In my experience, low and slow is the way to go :)

• Tina Jones says:

Can I use foil? I don’t have any parchment paper

• Julie says:

You could use foil but I would spray it down really well with oil because foil still has a tendency to stick for things like this.

• Maurice A Pelletier says:

I do them on my BBQ grill. 2 zucchini’s slice 1/8 thick put in zip-lock bag,add olive oil shake to coat then add garlic powder &onion powder/flakes.shake very well to coat all.Heat grill on HIGH add slices to grill cook for 3to4 minutes flip over and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on all.close lid cook for 3to 4 minutes. Remove to serving platter.ENJOY

• Chrissy says:

These chips are fucking bomb.

• Shifa says:

Cannot wait to try these – thank you for sharing :)

• Jeremy Alexander says:

I like the recipe, but I just wish I could get them without the story. No offense, but what you buy at Costco doesn’t hold a ton of interest for me.

• Julie says:

I didn’t *force* you to read the story. You did it all by yourself and subjected yourself to a disinteresting story. If you didn’t care for a story, all you had to do was scroll down to the page, grab the recipe, and leave.

• Dee says:

Exactly.lol

• CJ says:

People are ridiculous.

• Randy says:

What an asshole. Here you are posting recipes for people, taking the time out of your day to share something with someone, and this is what you get.

I loved reading the story BTW. :)

• Robin says:

Clearly that person doesn’t understand the point of a blog….or do much internet recipe browsing ?
        Great recipe! I have made them before so I made a seasoning mix of onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, fine sea salt & dried parsley.

And yes, low and slow & patience is the key! ?

• Julie says:

Love the idea of those seasonings!

• lori says:

Wow troll much? Great recipe, great story.

• Lynne Campbell says:

Julie … thanks for sharing … love the recipe and interesting story … I’m astounded at some people’s manners ..l keep up the great work !! ?

• Julie says:

Thank you! I appreciate it :)

• Phil says:

Jeremy…here’s an idea, scroll down to the recipe like I did instead of being a hateful troll.

• Shelli says:

It never fails – anytime you see or hear the phrase “no offense, but…” you just know something nasty, rude or completely uncalled for is about to follow. Don’t ever take it to heart, Julie. Most of us are highly appreciative of your efforts, and the fact that you share – FOR FREE –
      the results of them.

• Dina says:

I made the easy oven baked zucchini chips. My husband loved it, and I love looking for healthy recipes. I wanted to ask you advise on what I should do next time I make it, it took 4 hours to bake and only some became crisp and some were still soggy. Should I try doing it one 350 instead of 225. I also sprinkled on garlic powder instead of salt

• Julie says:

I haven’t tried it at a higher temperature but you can certainly try that! Maybe lighten up on the olive oil too cause I know that sometimes can cause them to be too soggy if there is too much on there.

• Libby Stanley says:

I just tried another recipe for these from another site that used a higher temp – one minute they were not done the next burnt to a crisp. I’m trying your recipe tomorrow and think it should work much better.

• Julie says:

Great! I hope it works for you. Low and slow is the trick :)

• Diem says:

I just made these. If they are sliced thinner it only takes 45 or so. The thickness makes a difference. My mandoline only had 1.5 mm or 3mm, not 2…so I chose the 1.5. Definitely go easy on the salt. Thanks for a great recipe!!! I’m here because of Nom Nom Paleo.

• Julie says:

Thanks for letting me know! I love Michelle’s blog.

• Paiton says:

Hello! Great idea, had it with the husband and kids and they loved it! Just wondering, how many calories though would you say there are in this recipe?

• Julie says:

I’m so glad your family loved it! I don’t give nutritional values on recipes because I’m not a registered dietician or nutritionist so for me to give any sort of nutritional information would be incorrect and inaccurate. There are also many differing factors when it comes to nutritional information and since I do not have the knowledge in this, I do not feel comfortable posting this sort of information. If you must have this information, there are many calculators out there (free and paid) that can help you with calculations. A simple Google search would pull up some of these calculators, but again, I’m not endorsing them as I do not know how accurate they may be.

• Tracy Knight says:

You can figure out nutritional information at this site (if you know how much zucchini you used): https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list. And I believe My Fitness Pal allows you to ‘build’ recipes in their app which could give you nutritional info.

• Geraldine Johnsoncc says:

Could you make eggplant chips like that?

• Leslie says:

Hey Julie! I am going on a road trip tomorrow and think I’ll make these as a healthy option. Question — do you think instead of putting olive oil on them, I could you the olive oil / coconut oil spray? (the stuff that people usually spray on the pan so things don’t stick.) I figured it would keep them uber light :)

Yes, definitely!

• Che says:

Amazing. Thank you for the recipe (and the story ;)) could you make these without the olive oil?or is that key to this recipe?

• Julie says:

You definitely need the olive oil in this recipe. It’s what crisps up the chips!

• Sharon says:

I got a pan of these in the oven right now. Made a seasoning blend of onion powder, garlic powder, smoked salt, sweet Hungarian paprika, fresh ground black pepper and a little bit of Stevia. I like BBQ chips…lol. They smell great. You are right about waiting for them. It’s definitely the hardest part. Thank you for this healthy snack idea. I hope mine looks as good as yours when they are done.

• Caitlyn says:

Is there anything else I could use instead of oil to make them lower calorie? I have a fear of oil which sounds silly but I can’t have it on any of my foods so could I still make these or not?

• Julie says:

I don’t think they’d crisp up if you don’t use oil.

• Sue says:

This looks so good, I use a lot of cooking spray versus liquid oil and it is available in olive oil version. I might try that so I don’ get too heavy-handed with liquid olive oil. I’m looking forward to trying this recipe.

• Vanessa Finney says:

Caitlyn, I’ve been shopping for countertop ovens lately, and one of them has an attachment called the air fryer, where you can make vegetable chips without oil. it might be a Cuisinart.

• Amanda says:

Anyone add diff seasoning to it? And can you do this with other veg?

• Brittany says:

If I use aluminium foil instead of parchment paper would that effect the chips any do you think?

• Julie says:

I haven’t used foil for these but I think they might end up sticking.

• Maxine says:

One of my children was just diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. We’re trying hard to control the symptoms with diet and these are all approved ingredients for him! This will be the closest thing to a chip he’s been able to have in several months and we are most grateful to you! Thank you!

• Julie says:

Aww this makes me so happy to hear!

• Ria Swift says:

Skip the story. Not that interesting. The recipe is about the food, not you. I don’t get it.

• Julie says:

You don’t have to “get it.” It’s a blog. My blog, actually. I can write whatever I want. If you don’t want the stories..scroll right on down to the recipe. No one forced you to read the story.

• Paula says:

No good deed goes unpunished, Julie. (Fwiw, I enjoyed your story! ?) Thanks for blogging on food and giving the rest of us a forum to get great recipes and chat about these tasty treats. Keep it up!

Thanks so much :)

• Lisa says:

This is how blogs work, people! A nice person, a little story, a fun recipe, the end. If you don’t like it, buy a cookbook. Until then, feel free to scroll straight to the recipe.

• Dawn says:

Love these chips. But I’m missing one thing – how many chips to a serving size? Trying to figure out my calories. Thanks!

• Julie says:

Lol, I actually ate all the chips in 1 serving so I’m probably not much help.

• Paula says:

Which side of parchment paper goes up the shinny side or the dull side that is Which side does the food sit on

• Julie says:

Hi, I don’t think parchment paper has a shiny or dull side. I know aluminum foil does but my parchment paper doesn’t have different sides.

• Rachel says:

Just made these and love them! Followed the recipe exactly and had no issue. Thank you!

• Julie says:

Great to hear!! Thanks for the feedback :)

• Michelle says:

I learned a little trick tonight bakimg with zucchini to help with the moisture. After laying them on the paper towel to lightly sprinkle salt over the slices and let set for 10 minutes. The salt helps draw out the moisture. Then blot with towel. Hope that helps. I’ll be making these this weekend for sure. Thanks for the great recipe Julie!

Great idea!

• Joni says:

My husband is on a low carb diet, so I was extremely excited to find your recipe. He misses his crunchy snacks, so these will be great! Have a batch in the oven right now. Thanks so much!

• Jodi says:

Thanks for the recipe! I’m about to make some now! Hoping they turn out right!

• Samantha Alvarez says:

What is the nutritional information?
    Carbs, fat, protein, etc.

• Julie says:

Unfortunately there are many reasons as to why I don’t post nutritional information on my recipes, one of which is that I’m not a registered dietician or nutritionist so for me to give any sort of nutritional information would be incorrect and inaccurate. There are also many differing factors when it comes to nutritional information and since I do not have the knowledge in this, I do not feel comfortable posting this sort of information. If you must have this information, there are many calculators out there (free and paid) that can help you with calculations. A simple Google search would pull up some of these calculators, but again, I’m not endorsing them as I do not know how accurate they may be.

• linda says:

I wonder if you sprinkled salt on them and let them drain, if that might help them cook faster. I really can’t wait to try these.

• Julie says:

That would be a great idea!

• Amber says:

Found your recipe and I’m quite excited to try it! Potato chips are my downfall so I’m hoping this can take their place! I don’t have a mandolin so I had to cut by hand and hope for the best! Using Himalayan pink salt instead of kosher. They should be done about half way through the hockey game tonight! Can’t wait!

• Janet Paula says:

Do you oil one side of the zucchini or both sides? Thanks.

I did one side.

• Lisa says:

I found nutrition info on a app that gigs a carb out of 3.6g per serving fiber 1.3g calories 15.2. 4 servings per rerecipe using 1 medium cucumber according to app. I am making tonight, will post results

• Cathy Mathis says:

First, thank you for sharing ! I am a veggie addict who has to be very careful with a healthy low fat diet yu have receipes that I really get excited about.

• Julie says:

Thank you! I’m glad I have recipes for you :)

• Margie Barnes says:

So easy and fun to make. I used my oil mister instead of brushing it individual and worked out perfectly. I had some beautiful basil infused olive oil and it went wonderfully. The only problem I had even with my mandolin is getting the slices even. I guess I need more practice. Thanks for the recipe!

• Lindann says:

Can’t wait to try them

• Melissa says:

I was wondering if it would be okay to use tin foil instead of parchment paper? If not, what is the benefit to parchment paper? Thanks!!

• Julie says:

I haven’t personally used foil before but I believe someone did try and it stuck. I have always used parchment paper just because of its nonstick qualities.

• Fritzann Johnson says:

I so want to try this. I love the veggie chips especially the okra, beets,and green beans.

Do you think that this recipe would work in a dehydrator?

I usually make Apple chips in the stand dehydrator. Use the mandolin and slice it on number 1-2. Soak in 1/2 cup lemon juice and 2 qts of water. Place on drying racks and flavor with cinnamon & sugar, sea salt, powdered sugar, or even chili powder. Dehydrate over night or check to see if crispy.

My son will eat them until he is stuffed tired if I will let him.

I miss the farmers markets my home town in Texas had, but there are several fruit stand/markets in the town I live close to now (still Texas). We always had a huge garden growing up and my husband and I have a reasonable sized garden now.

Thank js for the wonderful story.

• Julie says:

Yes, I think it could work on a dehydrator but I haven’t tried it myself so I don’t know the settings or how to even tell you to proceed. I guess the only thing is – slice it thin like you would any chips that you want to make in a dehydrator!

• Shelley says:

Hey Julie! Thanks for the awesome recipe! Mine were very uneven and I think my oven might have been at fault! However my husband loved them and even ate the burnt and soggy ones! Ha ha ha! I was determined to be meticulous with the directions because I really wanted these to work for my son’s Letter Z snack for preschool. But alas, not all ovens or cooks are created equal!
    Yours were beautiful! Well done on such a great recipe! Thank you again and have a great day!

• Julie says:

Aw haha, thanks for letting me know and I’m glad yours partly worked out!

• Lynn says:

I too, love zucchini chips. However I have tried this recipe a couple of times and always find the chips shrink to the size of a nickle and are over-browned. Is the oven hotter than the temperature control; am I safe to just take them out earlier?

• Julie says:

Some ovens can vary on internal temperature vs. what the dial says. The best way to ensure that your oven is at the right temperature is for you to buy an oven-safe thermometer and keep it inside the oven to see if the temperature is truly what the dial says. Yes, you are safe to take them out earlier as soon as you see that they’re crisped up and browned.

• Kimberley says:

Question:
    How did you get them so golden in the recipe photo? Mine always turn out very dark, like in the video. Just wondering if there was something different about the photo version? Thanks!!

• Julie says:

I honestly couldn’t tell ya! When I made them the first time, they turned out golden like the photos but then when I made them in the video, they turned out a bit darker! I think it depends totally on oven rack setting and the type of olive oil used.

• Karhi says:

I am gonna try these looks yummy…ty

• Cheryl says:

Sounds good

• Madeline says:

I was sure to slice them very thin and make sure they were dry b4 cooking them. Just took them out and they r great!

• kimberly says:

Trying these out tonight – the photos are beautiful! I actually just scrolled down to the recipe but after reading that jerky comment I decided I WANTED to read the story! haha

• Julie says:

Haha :) well at least you are capable of scrolling and don’t mind it!

• Sarah says:

Could I used by dehydrator to make these instead of the oven?

• Julie says:

I haven’t done this before in a dehydrator so I can’t give much direction on that but yes, you can make these in a dehydrator if you prefer that to an oven!

• Marie says:

Can u freeze zucchini like the bread or raw zucchini I have so much and it’s just not getting ate fast enough I just can’t cook it fast enough my counter is cover with zucchini I can’t give it away fast enough either lol

• Julie says:

Yes, if you vacuum seal it, you can freeze zucchini. I’ve tried it and after I defrosted it, it was like the day I bought it!

• Lee King says:

Thanks, I must try! ♫

• terrie ridenour says:

These looked so good. To they stay crisp for the three day. It sounds like it’s dehrating them

• Peggy Atkinson says:

Would this work in an air fryer?

• Julie says:

I honestly have never used an air fryer before so I can’t tell you :(

• Leah says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe-with so many zucchinis coming from my CSA, we are struggling to eat them. But we always need snacks! The recipe came out great for me. I put on a bit of salt and let them sit for 30 minutes to sweat before popping in the oven. :)

• Judy says:

Z chips look good. Going to try and make some..ty

• Amy Ryder says:

What kind of mandolin? Looking for recommendations!

• Julie says:

Hi, if you read the notes section, I linked to the mandolin slicer that I used.

• 5 Hassle-Free Ways to Simplify Mealtime