Cheeseburger Mac recipe just like the box only healthier and more budget friendly!
I finally got around to making this, like I promised. It is incredibly easy and tastes just like the Hamburger Helper one. This one is, by far, healthier and makes a ton more than that little box. You get a lot of leftovers, a happy tummy, and it’s all on the table in about 20 minutes!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 cups elbow pasta
- 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 pack of taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- In a pan, on medium high heat, brown the ground beef. When finished cooking, drain the beef of liquids.
- Put back on heat and add the taco seasoning. Stir until well-mixed in.
- Add in the Rotel can (you don’t need to drain it) and the beef stock.
- Lastly, add in the pasta and let cook for 12-14 minutes.
- Prepare the cheese sauce when there’s 5 minutes left of cooking for the pasta, otherwise, your cheese mixture might harden and not be as easy to pour/fold in.
- In a separate skillet, on a medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour, making sure it doesn’t clump.
- After about 3-4 minutes, add in the milk and keep whisking on medium high heat until it thickens.
- Take off heat and fold in the cheese until it’s all melted with a smooth and creamy texture.
- When the pasta is done and all the liquid is absorbed, pour in the cheese mixture and stir, combining everything. Make sure the cheese sauce coats everything.
- Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from: Kevin & Amanda