Pumpkin pasta with turkey sausage makes an easy and tasty fall meal
Happy Halloween! This entry was written on Sunday evening because as Hurricane Sandy started to get closer and closer, the outlook started to look more ominous. I couldn’t predict the future so I played it safe than to leave y’all hanging with no entry ;) dedication, folks!
This pasta dish is very appropriate for halloween cause, well, pumpkin! This is actually one of the first times I’ve cooked with pumpkin in a savory dish. It turned out marvelous! I loved the seasonal flavors in this and overall, it was really easy to cook.
Ok, time to admit something. I hate halloween. It’s my least favorite holiday, ever. I’ve never been enthused about halloween. I hate the idea of dressing up for one night, or spending the money to dress up for one night. I was never a huge fan either of going out in the cold and trick or treating. Every time I did that, when I was younger, I would always get sick the following day and it’d just end up to be a week-long cold.
I remember one year, I really didn’t want to go trick or treating, but all my friends wanted to go, so I didn’t want to feel left out. I didn’t have a costume, so I just threw on an oversized shirt and sweatpants, grabbed a pillowcase, and called myself a bum. Yeah, a BUM. That right there should show you how much I really care about halloween, haha
I do love passing out candy though because I like seeing others’ creativity. I probably don’t like halloween because I don’t like having to be creative and trying to out top someone else’s outfit. Plus, you know what they say about halloween for girls – the one night they have an excuse to look and dress slutty. Ehhhh, not so much for me. Why would I want to be scantily-clad in the freezing cold? Anyway, this is the first year that Jason and I will pass out candy to kids cause the first year we were together, we didn’t live together & our neighborhoods that we lived in didn’t have kids coming through, and then last year, we lived in an apartment complex that was anti-social, so this year we’ll get to see the neighborhood kiddos and hopefully meet the neighbors, too – if the weather has let up by now. Hopefully. :)
Pumpkin Pasta with Turkey Sausage
- 1 lb mild Italian turkey sausage
- 3/4 pound bucatini pasta
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-6 leaves sprigs of fresh sage, cut into chiffonade
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream; I actually omitted this but you can add it if you'd like
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese grated to top
- In a pot, bring water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente then drain it and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and the minced garlic & onion and cook until soft & fragrant - about 5 minutes.
- Add in the bay leaf, sage, and wine and cook until wine reduces by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and pumpkin puree and stir to mix well. Stir in the cream then add the sausage back in.
- Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and let simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the pasta and stir to get the sauce coated on all the pasta.
- Serve hot (remember to remove the bay leaf) with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.