Yesterday was a bad morning ’cause you all know how much I love my coffee, right?! So, I ruined two cups of coffee because I didn’t think to sniff the half-and-half prior to putting it into our cups of coffee :( I made myself an iced coffee with my newly brewed batch of cold-brew and then started to make Jason’s. When I poured the half-and-half into his, clumps came out of the container and that’s when I was like ‘oh crap’ and decided to smell it. Argh! I should’ve paid more attention to the expiration date :) sigh, lesson learned, right? Not a huge deal, we just had to go *gasp* buy our coffee from a coffee shop instead of having a homemade cup. I know, it’s such a terrible thing. Just kidding :)
Big question of the day: what is everyone doing for the 4th of July?! If you’re having friends & family over, this round up of 30+ recipes can be used for 4th of July, too! So many great options and most of them are a cinch to make. (Do you remember that word ‘cinch?’ I swear when I was in grade-school, I’d use it all the time but now I rarely hear it. I’m going to bring it back.)
I always bought salsa verde in a jar and I finally made it at home from scratch and WOW the difference! There really is a big difference in homemade vs. store-bought. The flavors are way more pronounced in the homemade version than in the store-bought and I love that you can tweak it to your liking when making it at home. This slow cooker salsa verde chicken is a fairly easy dish to put together. You first broil all the ingredients for the salsa verde then blend it and then pour it all over the chicken in the slow cooker. The chicken gets to take a nice long, hot bath in the flavors of the salsa verde and after 4 hours, you get the most tender chicken and delicious sauce to go with it! We served ours with quinoa, but you’re certainly welcome to serve it with any other carb that you like.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 poblano chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, you can use chicken breast but fair warning the dish might be slightly dry
- Preheat broiler.
- In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients, tossing to coat. Spread onto an even layer on a jelly roll baking sheet and broil for 10 minutes, or until there are blackened spots on the tomatillos and chiles.
- Place the mixture in a blender along with the cilantro, oregano, juice of 1/2 a lime, cornstarch, salt, black pepper, and chicken stock. Place lid on the blender, remove the center piece so air/steam can escape, and place a towel over the lid. Blend until the mixture is no longer clumpy but a smooth mixture.
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, add the chicken then pour the salsa verde over the chicken. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve with quinoa or any other grain/carb you like.