This mouth-watering bacon brussels sprouts dish is an excellent way to introduce your family and friends to the infamous vegetable. It’s easy to make with just two ingredients, and the smoky bacon fat adds a delicious flavor that will take this dish to a whole ‘nother level!
As you know, I have been on a very personal mission to make everyone I know fall in love with brussels sprouts. From my amazing brussels sprouts gratin to my roasted garlic brussels sprouts to a brussels sprouts carbonara, these little guys are actually the best vegetable, ever. It is a hill I am willing to die on because I truly believe it is such an underrated vegetable!
It is not like your grandmother’s brussels sprouts recipe i.e. not boiling them. In fact, this bacon brussels sprouts side dish is the perfect introduction to these cruciferous veggies!
Why You’ll Love These Bacon Brussel Sprouts
These bacon brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish for your next dinner. Here are some of the reasons they are so delightful.
- Quick and easy – this side dish takes less than 5 minutes to prep and everything comes together in less than 45 minutes. Majority of the time is hands off as it’s roasting in the oven!
- Only two major ingredients – bacon and brussels sprouts. That’s it!
- Melt in your mouth – the brussels sprouts are cooked to perfection in the oven and the tender sprouts become melt in your mouth after they’re cooked with the bacon grease.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make bacon brussels sprouts. Make sure to scroll down to view the full recipe for exact measurements.
- Brussels sprouts
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Bacon and bacon grease
How To Make Bacon Brussels Sprouts
Here is a general overview of the steps involved to make this flavorful side dish. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
Set the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cook the bacon. In a skillet, cook the bacon to your desired crispness. Place the bacon onto a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Save the bacon grease!
Prep the brussels sprouts. Trim and clean the brussels sprouts and slice in half lengthwise. Place into a large bowl.
Pour the bacon grease over the brussels sprouts. Carefully pour the bacon grease over the brussels sprouts in the bowl and use your hands or large spoon to toss the brussels sprouts in the grease. Ensure they are evenly coated then sprinkle garlic powder and salt on top. Toss again to coat.
Roast. Roast the brussels sprouts for 30-35 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through.
Toss together. Once the brussels sprouts are done, toss together the bacon and brussels sprouts.
Substitutions and Variations
- Add a hint of sweetness – if you love sweet and savory, drizzling a tablespoon of maple syrup on the brussels sprouts after it comes out of the oven will give you a hint of sweetness.
- Add a bit of spice – if you are looking for more flavor and spice, add some cayenne pepper to the bowl when you add the garlic powder.
- Add some nuts – if you are looking for more texture, chopped walnuts or pecans would be a great addition to add to the mixture before serving.
- Use turkey bacon – if you do not eat pork, turkey bacon is a great alternative!
Tips for Success
- High heat – this will give your brussels sprouts the best crispy exterior texture while ensuring the inside is tender and soft.
- Use a rimmed baking sheet – you don’t want your brussels sprouts to be sliding off the baking sheet when taking the pan in and out of the oven. A rimmed baking sheet is perfect to keep everything together.
- Coat the brussels sprouts evenly in cooking fat/oil – ensure the brussels sprouts are evenly coated in the cooking fat/oil so every side gets all nice and crispy!
Storage and Reheating Instructions
This side dish is best eaten fresh and day of. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container for up to three days in the refrigerator. To reheat, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
What to Serve with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
Since this is a side dish, brussels sprouts and bacon is best served with a heavier main dish such as:
Want more brussels sprouts? You’re in luck! Here’s more recipe ideas:
- Brussels Sprouts Tostadas
- 25-Minute Bacon Gnocchi with Broccoli and Shaved Brussels
- Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Shallots
- Warm Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad with Farro
- Pistachio Pesto Brussels Sprouts
Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2-3 tablespoons bacon grease
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F and set aside a rimmed baking sheet. Additionally, line a plate with paper towels.
- In a skillet, cook bacon to the desired crispness. Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the bacon and place onto the plate lined with paper towels. Do not toss the bacon grease!
- Clean and trim brussels sprouts and slice in half lengthwise. Put in a large bowl then pour 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease over the brussels sprouts. Using your hands or spatula, toss to coat the brussels sprouts evenly in the grease. Sprinkle garlic powder and salt on top then toss again.
- Pour brussels sprouts onto rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and toss bacon and brussels sprouts together.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.