This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ready for the easiest, fluffiest brownie recipe ever? These cake mix brownies only require 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of active time. They are the perfect quick fix to your chocolate craving.
I don’t know about you but, for me, brownies are kind of the pinnacle of all chocolate desserts. They are so simple, absolutely loaded with chocolate flavor, and harken back to that inner child in all of us. Sometimes brownies can be a little bit too heavy, though. Do you know what I mean? I found the solution.
I love this recipe because you can really use any chocolate cake mix you’d like. Mix it up with some eggs, oil, and a hefty dose of chocolate chips and you’re good to go! These cake mix brownies are everything you want in a brownie, except they are just a little lighter and fluffier due to the leavening agents in the cake mix. All of the chocolate and all of the nostalgia with a slightly new and exciting texture. Let’s get baking!
Why Make Brownies With Cake Mix?
You might be wondering, “why not just use brownie mix?”. You certainly can but these cake mix brownies are something else. The extra leavener found in cake mix (when compared to brownie mix) helps the brownies rise more, ending you with a lighter, fluffier result.
You mean I can have delicious homemade brownies with just 5 ingredients? Sign me up! Here’s what you will need to make these decadent chocolaty treats. Make sure to scroll to the recipe below for detailed measurements.
- Chocolate cake mix – I used Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix but grab your favorite off the shelf and see what happens! Devil’s food cake mix would be a great choice. The mix I used rose quite a bit around the edges while the center sank when I took it out of the oven. I didn’t mind though. The brownies had the best chewy edges and the center was cooked through.
- Vegetable oil – Not a vegetable oil fan? Any neutral oil will do here. Try refined coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Eggs – It’s best to start with room-temperature eggs. They will incorporate more smoothly and easily into the other ingredients.
- Vanilla extract – This is optional but I think it adds a nice touch.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – Feel free to use dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips instead.
How to Make Cake Mix Brownies
In just a few simple steps and 30 minutes, you will have yourself a perfect tray of light, fluffy brownies. Here’s a quick overview of how to make brownies with cake mix. Don’t forget to scroll to the recipe below for more detailed instructions.
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350˚F and line an 8×8” pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the cake mix, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract before stirring in most of the chocolate chips.
- Bake. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, top with the remaining chocolate chips, and bake for 25-28 minutes.
Tips for Success
As per usual I have a few tips and tricks to share that will help you achieve the best homemade brownies possible. Here they come.
- Use room-temperature eggs. They will combine more easily with the other ingredients.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. This will cause the glutens in the cake mix to over-develop leading to a dense, tough brownie.
- Bake in the center of the oven. This will ensure that neither the top nor the bottom of the brownies cooks faster than the rest.
- Cool. It might be tempting to dive right in but trust me. Let the brownies cool all the way first. Not only will this give them a chance to set, making for easier slicing, but it will allow the flavors time to deepen, resulting in a tastier bite.
What to Serve with Cake Mix Brownies
I love these homemade brownies on their own but I won’t lie and say I don’t love them even more when served with a scoop of ice cream, some whipped cream, a drizzle of sauce, or a tasty beverage to wash them down. Maybe even all four!
- Ice cream. Grab a tub of vanilla ice cream at the store and serve these easy brownies with a scoop. Feeling adventurous? Try making your own! My No Churn Oreo Fudge Ice Cream is to die for but I also love this Coffee Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Cookies and Cream Ice Cream, and my Espresso Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
- Whipped Cream. Brownies and whipped cream are a combination that’s hard to pass up. Grab a container of Cool Whip or make your own!
- With a drizzle of sauce. Try the raspberry topping from my Instant Pot White Chocolate Cheesecake with Raspberry Sauce. For a more classic take, try this chocolate sauce or a rich dulce de leche.
- With a yummy beverage. Break up the richness of these delectable brownies with a glass fo cold milk or something more exciting. Try my Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso or this delicious Horchata Drink Recipe.
How to Store Extras
Cake mix brownies keep beautifully. In some ways, they are even better the next day. Allow the brownies to cool completely before wrapping the baking pan tightly in saran wrap and storing it in the refrigerator. Alternatively, slice the brownies and seal them in an airtight container before placing them in the fridge. In either case, you can keep these cake mix brownies in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Want to freeze your brownies? Go ahead! Follow the instructions above for cooling and storing and pop them in the freezer. They will be good for up to 3 months. When it comes time to enjoy, allow the brownies to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
More Easy Brownie Recipes:
This easy brownie recipe produces some of the best brownies I have ever encountered. That being said, I have a few other recipes for you to try. Let me know which is your favorite.
- Pecan Pie Brownies
- Caramel Filled Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake and Cookie Dough Brownies
- Fudgy Dirty Chai Dark Chocolate Brownies
- Fudgy Biscoff Swirl Brownies
- Reese’s Cup Brownies
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- Blondie Brownies
Cake Mix Brownies
- 15.25 ounce box of chocolate cake mix, we used Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil, or another neutral oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, plus some extra for topping – around 2 tablespoons
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (177 °C) and line an 8×8” pan with parchment paper.
- Add cake mix, oil, eggs and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl. Whisk or stir until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips, reserving a few for topping.
- Transfer the batter to the parchment paper-lined pan and spread into an even layer.
- Top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- For best results, let cool completely before slicing.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.